1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Landscapes with A7R

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jeffmurray, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    First time post, I have been a Canon Shooter for over 35 years. Reading up on the A7R before christmas convinced me I could do a lot for my back and knees - lowering the weight of my camera bag. I sold my 5D2 and my 5D3 is up for sale now.

The A7R is a lovely camera. The sensor, form factor and functionality are wonderful. Here are some of my early shots.

Plenty: We're unsure of what these plants are. They were growing in a field on our way to Mt Field Russell Falls a few kilometres outside Plenty.

ISO 100, 70mm SEL2879, ILCE-7R, 1/100th, F13

[​IMG]

Red Hot Pokers: Red hot pokers in the Wrest Point grounds at Sunrise in Sandy Bay.

ISO 50, 28mm SEL2879, ILCE-7R, 1/13th, F22, 3 shot HDR +- 1 EV Photomatix

[​IMG]

Sunrise in Sandy Bay:

ISO 50, 28mm SEL2879, ILCE-7R, 1/6th, F22, 3 shot HDR +- 1 EV Photomatix

20150107054806_DSC00520And2more-L.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Welcome to the forum, nice shots I like number 2 especially. Keep em coming ;D

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome! Nice first posts. #2 and #3 are excellent indeed :thumbup:

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, welcome. And I agree with Chris and Nick. Lovely shots.

5. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks Gentlemen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Welcome! From the looks of it, you're off to a great start with your A7r.

I, like you, left a 5D behind. I only have the plain vanilla A7 though. I'm still really happy with it.

7. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    You have a solid selection of lenses which no doubt compliment the A7 very well. Thanks Mike - your very kind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    These are really fine photos. The thing that intrigues me is that they were taken with the sometimes maligned 2870. I find the lens surprisingly good and it is nice to see how well it performs on the 36 mp 7R. Nice job! Keep them coming.

9. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks - I find the lens ok - I have only two good lenses - Canon L glass - soon to be sold. I like the clarity - or IQ as they say here - sometimes my focus is off - as it is in one of the first shots. I really miss the Canon zoom button as I couldn't always get the zoom working on PlayMemories with manual focus. I probably needed to fiddle more. it worked last night with these later shots. With the Canon I used DSLR controller with live view and zoom for manual focus - that was a great set-up. I am using RCCDroidPro here - but really miss liveview for composition and focus.

I tried the SEL2870 again lens last night with a Lee Big Stopper - light wasn't good so the clarity is hard to judge. I am pretty happy with the night long exposures with no filter. I used both ends of the F Stop - I see no edge softness as is often talked about - if there is any significantly it always shows up in a stitch with banding from the vignette or clarity ( I was in the middle of the zoom-range-which should help). Overall, the lens is light which I like. Only negative is the slow focus - which is more the A7R - although I did read auto focus can be off on this lens. I generally use manual anyway unless I am shooting sports.

Ghostly:

A7R, SEL2870, 70mm, ISO 100 (still forget I have ISO 50 now!), 30 seconds, F5.6, Lee Big Stopper

DSC00336-Edit-L.jpg

Light Show:

A7R, SEL2870, 40mm, ISO 100 (still forget I have ISO 50 now!), 30 seconds, F25

DSC00342-Edit-L.jpg

Sandy Bay Night Panorama:

A7R, SEL2870, 50mm, ISO 100 (still forget I have ISO 50 now!), 30 seconds, F7.1

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice additions! Like the last panorama ;)

11. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks Nick. First time shooting one in portrait mode.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app