First Impressions of Studio Photography

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by ilovehatephotography, Jun 11, 2014.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Had my first studio shoot last night. What a fun experience. I joined a local photography club and the few of us shared a studio space and a wonderful model. I suggest anyone interested in doing studio photography to find a local club on meetup.com and participate in one of their workshops or shoots. It was a great learning experience. Here is the write up of my experience: http://ilovehatephotography.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/first-impressions-to-studio-photography/ (Model is in a bikini in case you are viewing this at work).

[EDIT: Had to remove some photos in this thread as per the forum guidelines. Visit the link above for more.]

bwdsc00759-2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm in the middle of remodeling my studio, and I am HATING not having it available! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your shoot - I love having control over every aspect of the shoot in order to get exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like you had a good setup to work with.

This is probably my favorite studio shot - and it would have been completely impossible in most other settings. It was on a black seamless paper backdrop with random photoshop brushes and textures added later.

Keep shooting and sharing your studio work! I'd love to see more!

14213425547_f698ca5c2d_c. "628" height="800" alt="For What They Are">

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  3. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    A four-car garage with a lift, plus a full sized home photo studio. That's the plan right? ;) I definitely learned a great deal form the studio shoot yesterday. Can't wait to try it again real soon. Thank for the encouragement!

4. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Something like that! :cool: I've owned a studio for about 8 years, and It's down to the studs right now to put in a new bathroom, changing room, dark room, showing/client area, and workspace. But I'd KILL for enough room for a car!

Definitely keep it up and keep posting!

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Keep it up, nice shots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Interesting read...I bet that would be intimidating (I know nothing about artificial lighting for example).

I liked how you were able to emphasize how crazy fit that model is (her lats and quads in pic 2 and her triceps in pic3).

• Like Like x 1
  7. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I highly recommend joining a local meetup and getting some experience in the studio. You'll find the enthusiasts welcoming and very knowledgable. My questions were endless last night haha.

Thanks for your kind words. The model had a beautifully toned body. I found it was important to balance her physique with her femininity. I think sometimes art photography can get carried away with emphasizing muscle definition so that it'll lose some of the sexiness. I'm happy with the way the photos turned out :)

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 2
  8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Very nice post!
    I joined a club recently and have been learning a lot about lighting and just how other more experienced photographers work. :)

• Like Like x 2