1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First images with A7Rii

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jeffmurray, Aug 12, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Three weeks without a proper camera and I was pretty lost. Yesterday the A7Rii arrived and the key question is was it worth the wait?

After shooting this morning as I do before dawn in low light at high ISOs, getting home uploading the images into Lightroom - at first I was pretty dismayed. There did seem to be more noise. Then my brain kicked into reason - I don't normally shoot at high ISO's and these were deliberately taken at 640 - 1250 to see what the latest fuss was about on the web.

Now, having uploaded them to my site and evaluated the end-result I am happy. Three jumps forward - one sideways step is how I sum it up.

1. Focus IS better - until you hit low light or the long zoom on a telephoto.
    2. Stabilisation has been achieved - it's in camera and that is a huge advantage. I shot handheld at 1/6th.
    3. 4k is worth the $4k. The video features are fantastic - and they are in-camera.
    4. Noise at high ISOs is about the same as the A7R to my eye.

The last point is a sideways step in my opinion and yes I think the pre-release hype from Sony was to make much of the camera's weakest point. It does have high ISO noise - despite the new design. NOTE: I did not have long exposure NR on - which I always did on the A7R and maybe when I set that to ON - my results will be better. I was just hoping to do away with that as it makes long exposures - so slow.

Here are my initial shots:

Pacific Basin - shot at 160mm in low light, auto-focus with the LA-EA3 and Sony 70 - 400mm, hand held at 1/10th and ISO 1250.

[​IMG]

Walking the dog: shot handheld at 1/6th

[​IMG]

Slippin' into silk: 30 seconds at ISO 640.

DSC00102-2-Edit-L.

All have been sharpened and had noise reduction applied - this is a normal part of my workflow and I have applied it so I can compare to my 5D3 and A7R images.

Update: 15 August, 2015

Getting used to the camera - shooting in silent shutter mode disables continuous shooting in bracket mode - so had to press the shutter for each shot. Used 5 shot +-3EV for a shot I binned. There was bizzare blue noise in the well underexposed parts of an image. Still when I stick to my staple 3 shot bracket +- 1EV the results are very pleasing. I spend a morning at Fossil Cove - a magical place just South of Hobart.

Fossil Cove: 3 image vertorama (the 16mm just wasn't wide enough) - 3.2 seconds at F18, ISO 100 and with a CPL and 0.9 grad.

[​IMG]

Derwent window: Using the SEL55F18Z (this lens is super lovely) 1/8th F10 (handheld), ISO100 and no filter.

DSC00153-Edit-L.

Warm Strata: 1/60th, F22 (forgot to change), ISO100

[​IMG]

Layered: LG G4 (hope its ok to sneak one in here - wanted to show the wonder rocks in this part of the world).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for sharing your early impressions and I must say that the last photo is AMAZING!!! Beautiful composed and nice sharp foreground :thumbsup:

3. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks Nick very kind of you. Still keeping with your Long Exposure theme. This one was taken filter less. I have to say the A7Rii did hold detail in the shadows really well - this photo was taken is very low light and straight out of the camera the rocks were almost black. I think over time we'll learn the foibles of this new sensor and our photography will improve with that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly! This is what impresses me most on this camera. The hidden potential of this sensor, with its dynamic range etc is amazing! Lately I've been feeling that my Nex-6 with its sensor its not par for the job...

5. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Your photos with the Nex are great Nick. I only upgraded to get the fast focus for sports. I do love these little Sony cameras like my daughter's a6000. They are all great for their purpose.

6. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    So you feel the AF was worth it? That's my biggest complaint in the A7. I used to shoot strictly manual focus but now that I'm using more AF I've gotten a bit frustrated with the camera (although partly it was a learning curve that I'm now rounding).

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Very informative post and wonderful photos, here! My A7RII arrives tomorrow, and I am going to geek out on the sensor comparisons with my A7II :D.

• Like Like x 3
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't wait!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Coming from a Canon 5D3 to Sony mirrorless the 3 greatest set backs were choice of lens (massively improved recently), frames per second and focus speed. The latter two now largely resolved on A7Rii and at 42 megapixels with great dynamic range and steadyshot. Overall I am pretty content with A7Rii so far. It will take a week or two to truly find some wrinkles and it may be shadow noise we'll see.

Thankyou Amin really look forward to seeing your thoughts too and thanks very much for the feature - Nick.

Sent from my LG-H815 using TalkEmount mobile app

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same as Ad, really really interested reading this comparison!!!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1