1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

first high speed sync flash, grandaughter just in from school

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Sep 13, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    just practising this technique, a single flash at 1/1250th sec F2.8 , iso 100 wireless flash, taken in broad daylight with the nex6 and 35mm 1.8, the high shutter speed does not allow any of the background to record so all that is lit is what the flash lights and because of the high shutter speed you get a nice and sharp image, there are some harsh shadows,I should have used a reflector, but I quite like it.

what I used,
    a Nex 6, a Sony HVL-F20M, a Minolta 3600, the F20M mounts on the hotshoe and triggers the other flash/flashes

8z4r9v.

• Like Like x 7
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Very cool..I am trying this! :)

3. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    what flash and what power setting did you use? thanks. I just got in my off camera flash rig (first time ever) so I'll be doing some experiments soon.

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    it was the old minolta 3600 ,it is full power only, but maybe moving the zoom would alter it, I just moved the flash backwards/forward until it was just lighting my grandaughter, if you have a power setting on the flash, just fire a few off to see what is right,it took me 4 shots to get this one, manual setting and adjusting down or up shutter speed until I got it near enough,
    remember you are adjusting the shutter speed to eliminate the background, I am just experimenting myself so I am not giving expert advice, just what I have found out through trial and error

5. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Beautiful shot. Nicely done.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting effect, makes a very nice shot.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I like this very much. Thanks for posting what you did.

Your granddaughter is a pretty girl.

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks for the comments, will keep you informed of my hopeful progress, my light stands and softbox arrived today and guess what ?, the Sony/minolta flash does not fit on the stands, the unique flash mount does not fit any stands, I will have to get a thread and fit it to the little stands that come with the sony/minolta flashes

9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I am not understanding this. lol
    Can you do this with a sunpak PF20XD mounted on the hotshoe? That is the only flash I got other than an old Minolta Auto 200x
    Thanks

10. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    sorry Shaolin, to do the high speed sync you need off camera flash with that capability, I had to buy the HVL-f20M to trigger the Minolta 3600 and Sony HVL-56 AM,
    the 20M mounts on the nex 6 hotshoe and triggers the other two flashes but does not interfere with the light,ie it just gives enough light to trigger the flashes nothing else