First Hands-On Report of NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    attachment.php?attachmentid=18&d=&thumb=1.

Rice High came across a Chinese language forum post by a member at SonySDF.com who claims to have used the NEX-7 and Zeiss 24mm lens.

According to the post, the NEX-7 is larger than a Leica M9, and the Zeiss lens image quality is superb.

Most intriguing is the comment "Looking at the rear end of the lens, you can guess the future direction of development of the whole system." Others responding in the thread are taking this to suggest that NEX is headed for 35mm "full frame" format, which would fit with recent rumors about Sony going in that direction with their SLT line of cameras.

Source: SonySDF.com forum via Rice High Blog via 1001 Noisy Cameras

2. BBW

BBW New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    Larger than the M9 - does that surprise all of you NEX shooters? (It does me, but I'm pretty behind on the details.) The lens sounds exciting. Exciting days ahead!

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Wouldn't put much store by any of this but I think it was generally known that the NEX-7 was going to be a bigger camera in the same way that the A77 is going to be bigger than the A35/55. Add in a viewfinder, a hotshoe and those control dials and it really needs to be significantly bigger to still be usable.

I suspect the 24mm has been designed to work with this camera in particular so the size issue with that lens that some people have commented on is less important than it would be on the 3/5 models.

4. BBW

BBW New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm sure you are a great deal more in the know than I, olli!

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    From the leaked photos, it looks smaller than an M9 to me, but like Olli I do expect it to be larger than the other NEX cameras.

My E-P3 is the perfect size for me (like the Fuji X100), so that's about the size I'd like to see for a flagship NEX camera.

6. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    If it is about the same as the M9, I am OK with that. That's still a fairly compact camera. Overall, this camera is, based on rumours, looking good.

I don't feel I can say the same for the 'system'. The camera seems likely to have a leading edge display and VF, but those are not innovations.

What I would like to see is Sony applying their innovation to the lenses. It's the entire system that I would use, where the capability / size mix of mirror-less comes into play.

I will have to fall back on my Pentax APSC dream: mirror-less with those nice Pantax small and top-notch primes.