1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First full frame digital, and it's a....Sony A7ii!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by bargainguy, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Hello, everyone. What a strange route I took to my new-to-me A7ii.

I started shooting back in the days of film, on a Canon EF camera (that thing could drive tent spikes). I was enamored of electronically timed shutter speeds that went out to 30 sec. Not too many cameras in those days could do that. My first lens was a Sun 28-90 zoom. Actually a decent performer for the early 80's.

Then after shooting Canon for couple years, made the switch to Nikon. FE, then an FM, then about two dozen more bodies over the years, both film and digital.

Shortly after my switch to Nikon, started doing photojournalism on the side. Then a little commercial, studio, public relations...you name it.

Then a couple years ago, made the switch to MFT. Olympus, then Panasonic, and a bunch more bodies and lenses. That got me hooked on EVFs and immediate image display in the viewfinder.

Suddenly, my Nikon optical viewfinders were not as attractive as they once were. I have a boatload of Nikon lenses, MF and AF, and I thought - if I want to go FF, Nikon doesn't have a mirrorless FF option (yet) - might as well try Sony!

So just a couple days ago, my first FF appeared, a used A7ii + 55/1.8 FE. Oh my goodness. This combo just blows the pants off any Nikon DSLR/glass combo I've used. Avatar is a shot from yesterday, cropped to square format.

Thanks for reading this odd journey. Look forward to getting to know all of you here.

• Like Like x 5
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome to the forum and Sony mirrorless, Don.
    I think you're going to enjoy your A7ii, and the 55 is considered the best standard prime in the market.
    Hope to move up to FF in the near future with an A7ii myself. BTW, I have the Sun 24-40mm f/3.5 zoom that I find to be quite good on my Sony.
    I hear there is a feverish attempt to produce a F-mount AF adapter. So your Nikkors may be put to good use.
    Looking forward to your imaging efforts.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome! Nice first introduction - looking forward seeing some of your work soon ;)

4. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you, Will and Nick.

I should mention that part of the reason I switched to Sony FE is getting a couple of Sony RX100's last year and experience with those. Phenomenal capture when used within their limitations. If you'd like to see what I did with those, click on the Artwork Collections link on my signature, then the Urban Abstract gallery, which was done almost exclusively with RX100's.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome from me too. I'm impressed by your gallery, you have a very distinctive style IMHO.

6. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks, Ad. We'll see what I can conjure up with my A7ii.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, welcome Don. I too migrated from film to m4/3 to Sony, and share your appreciation for how good we have it today. A brief stroll through your galleries makes me look forward to seeing what you come up with next with that A7II. Feel free to dazzle us all!

8. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you, David. I have a feeling that other than going the adapter route with my Nikon glass, it will be slow going purchasing more FE lenses, as I'm already tapped out just with the A7ii/55 purchase. But I have a bunch of weird lenses too, so I'm sure I'll be putting those to the test once my adapters come in.

9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Welcome from me too, I also used to use 43 then m43 and recently sold it all and now are exclusively Sony.

Paul

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Actually it's not that uncommon. You'll find a lot of people here that went from ยต4/3 to Sony FE, sometimes via Sony APS-C.

11. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you, Paul. And Ad, you're right, I probably underestimated the folks migrating from u4/3 to FE.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Welcome Don! Really creative stuff in your gallery. Definitely not for the traditionalist.
    While I have my own tastes, I love the fact that we are not bound to any hard rules and look forward to seeing what you can do with your new A7 camera.

13. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you, Gary. I can do traditional work if the need arises....but I much prefer to chart my own path with my creative work. I'd like to think of myself less as a photographer and more as a graphic artist who happens to start with photographic images.

• Like Like x 1