First day out with the 5N

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by C Wadsworth, Sep 9, 2011.

1. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Took a few snaps on my way home from lunch. The star of today's shoot was the Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8 (C/Y). It is fantastic on the 5N. A bit large with the adapter but so easy to focus and gets close too. This would make an excellent street shooter. The Summitar was a bit hazy wide open but good stopped down.

The 5N JPEGS are extremely rich. I am editing them in Lightroom and Alien Exposure 3 just as I would with RAW files. I continue to be impressed...

Here are the shots with the Zeiss, I think all at f/2.8:

And two with the Summitar. The first one was at 2.8, the second at 4:

2. WyldRage

WyldRage New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2011
    Is that summarit or summitar (you mention both)? And which focal length? That swirling bokeh at 2.8 is really strong.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Great pics with the Zeiss, I really like the fire hydrant's contrast and colour with just the perfect amount of OOF (for my taste anyways), and the pics taken with the Summarit, especially the first pic was well...taken with the Summarit (that should be nuff said :cool: )

Again, very nice pics
  4. C Wadsworth

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah, I mixed them up, that is with the Summitar 50mm! Swirling Bokeh for sure.
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

very good first outing.
  6. bosker

bosker TalkEmount Rookie

Experience with the new 5N and a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4 classic

Here is some examples of my first outing at a local hot rod show with the new Sony 5N and a Voigtlander Nokton classic 35mm f1.4 leica mount lens. I purchased the lens via ebay and bought a Fotodiox Pro Lecia M-Sony adapter via Amazon. The combination in my mind is just great, I love the way this lens feels on the camera and love the manual focus peaking ability within the Sony. All shots are straight out of the camera jpeg's, no post processing at all.

And here is another of a classic 66 mustang, that my oldest was admiring so much.

You can view the whole set here NEX-5N & Voigtlander 35mm - a set on Flickr. Can't wait to acquire some other lenses and looking forward to testing out my Nikon to Sony adapter.
  7. C Wadsworth

Aug 31, 2011
    Nice shots. My CV 40mm 1.4 has been neglected on the 5N but it is next up!
  8. bosker

bosker TalkEmount Rookie

@C Wadsworth the more I look at your photo's the more see the potential with this camera. Yours are exceptionally sharp, gonna have to check into that Zeiss lens.
  9. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    There's some really nice photo's here. I can't wait till I win the 5N give away here so I can give it a go....
  10. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    Ha ha, nice to meet you all. Im with you johnny9, good luck with that.
    Boosker: great stuff. I played with the Nex3 for a day and had to give it up.
    Looks like some great potential here. And CW great stuff, thanks for sharing.
    Cheers all,
  11. C Wadsworth

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks bosker. You will not be disappointed. The C/Y Contax 28 2.8 has a lot going for it - tremendous build quality, terrific micro contrast - making peaking easy and accurate, close focus to 10", that Zeiss look and a reasonable price!

The only downside is the size (but it isn't that big). I'm receiving the Contax G 28mm tomorrow, which will be much smaller but not focus as smoothly with the adapter. Looking forward to comparing the lenses...
  12. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I too had the C/Y Contax 28mm Distagon and it was indeed a fantastic lens but I sold it for the downside you mentioned. In comparison to my Voigtlander 28mm Ultron, it was just too big on the camera. I hated to get rid of it because it was such a fine lens, but in the end I made a decision based on the compromises I was willing to accept. The Ultron gave me small size and extra speed at the expense of some contrast and minimum focus distance. Looking at your images I did feel a tinge of regret for selling mine.