1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First Day Out with my New 16-35/4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by TedG954, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    There's a old church in Palm Beach that makes for some interesting pictures. The best part is they allow me to go inside for photos.

I took high ISO photos inside (6400) and normal ISO photos outside (100). This is the first time I ever used an ISO that high. I'm not a fan of noise, and in all honesty, I'm not pleased with the amount of correction that was required to eliminate the noise on the interior photos. You can be your own judge. Next time, I'll use a lower ISO (instead of AUTO) and let the tripod do its job.

The outside photos were quite different. I am very happy with the quality resulting from the A7II, Zeiss 16-35/4 pairing. This is a fine lens setup for landscapes and urban photos.

I'm glad I bought the lens. (By the way, I ordered it from HK, saved more than $200, and it arrived in 3 days! Really.)

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   1. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   2.

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   5. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   8.

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   9. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   10.

• Like Like x 7
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I hear you with the noise, but we know that has more to do with the F4. With Sony foregoing 2.8 zooms, this will be what we will deal with.

That said, it seams to be picking up a lot of detail across the frame for ISO 6400. I would think that means it's pretty good with decent light. I can't wait to see those outdoor shots. :)
    I wish I wasn't tapped out with the new A7 and 55z. I would need much more than a $200 discount for it to land on my porch this year. :(

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    The interior of the church is quite dark, so the ISO of 6400 was necessary. As I said, outside was an entirely different story.

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   11. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   13. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   16. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   17. Bethesda Church 2-20-15   18.

• Like Like x 8
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    A different story indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    What shutter speed were you using for those shots?? This type of subject matter would not require any type of high shutter speed and should really let the image stabilisation and crispness of the 16-35 shine.

A 1 stop faster lens @ 2.8 would likely not have given you any better a result. In fact it may well have given you a significantly worse result as many 16-35 equivalent lenses from Canon/Nikon do not have 5 axis of image stabilization to fall back on.
    With this lens and the latest A7ii firmware update, I'd rate it as providing 3-4 stops of handheld IS.

Another thing to consider - what RAW processor are you using? NR looks very heavy handed with the images shared. Have you tried DXO Prime? It's phenomenal. Default settings from it are heavy handed, but I find prime set to a about '20' at an ISO of 6400 gives super clean files with lots of colour detail.

6. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    I was using a tripod and turned the stabilization OFF. I have DXO Optics Pro 8. Didn't use it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for posting these, Ted. If you get the chance, please post a few representative samples over in the sample thread so that other interested parties can find them in the future.

8. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    I cross posted on the Sample Thread you linked.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Both sets look quite nice, I don't see alot of noise issues.

Very accomodating of the Church to let you setup like that.

10. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    If you have a tripod, I would set the aperture to f/8 to f/11 where the lens is likely sharper, put Iso at 100 then adjust the shutter speed to get a proper exposure. lens looks like a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Agree!!! Love the shots from inside the church. Really impressed with the lack of noise for ISO 6400!!!

12. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    Exactly! I know this is what I need to do. Next time out will be much better, I'm sure. Thanks.

13. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Very pleasing shots there. Well done. Number 3, the steps in the second set, is my favourite but all are good. You must be very happy with that lens.

14. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    I used DXO for the noise reduction and the results are better (IMO) than the original Corel attempt.

DXO...

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   2.

Corel.....

Bethesda Church 2-20-15   2b.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    Corel has definitely worked the img a bit more -maybe pushed it too far, the dxo is good -looks more natural -maybe you could up up the lighting in it

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'm beyond the first day out. Today I went to Fort Lauderdale to the Science Museum and the surrounding area. I stayed outdoors. This lens is sharp and exceeds my personal needs. I'm not a professional, and for a hobbiest, the quality this lens produces is exceptional.

FTL SciCenter 2-23-15    5.

FTL SciCenter 2-23-15    2 .

FTL SciCenter 2-23-15    6.

FTL SciCenter 2-23-15    9.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Stop it would you Ted! I am saving up for this lens and you are not helping me be patient! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. TedG954

Nov 29, 2014
    Ted Gersdorf
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Seeing these great results from this lens, I'm now glad in a strange way that I didn't move to a FF E-mount A series - the GAS / LAS would have been very intense :D

Joking aside, I think its a must-have lens for E-mount A series users!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    When I was in Myanmar I went into a small dark crypt and too a shot of the Buddha at 1/15 of a second iso3200. Not bad, but as it was very close to my hotel I went back to get my tripod. I then took a 4 second shot at iso100. Processing both the same here are the results....

Now considering one is at iso 3200 it is pretty impressive but nothing really beats getting more light on the sensor (advisable to click to enlarge)

• Like Like x 4