1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First dabble at Street...

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by José De Bardi, May 14, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So I just got back from a quick day trip to Warsaw, Poland - I got a couple of hours spare in the afternoon so went for a stroll. The architecture didn't really interest me, but the Polish people seem to have interesting faces, so thought I'd give street a go.

Posting really just to get some feedback. I only really found one subject I managed to get any decent shots of, and I only had the kit 16-50 for lightness when travelling, I really feel I would need a ~100mm lens to feel comfortable shooting street and not be getting up in peoples faces!

So these 2 a pretty heavily cropped (down to where a 100mm lens probably would have been!), I couldn't decide which one I liked best so let me know what you think.
    Also, first post linking from Flikr, giving it a go as I use Photobucket normal - seems OK so far!
    13998997579_1ba684e404_o. Lonely Man by josedebardi, on Flickr

13999006450_272672ea44_o. Lonely Man 2 by josedebardi, on Flickr

There are a few more shots in the album from the plane as the sky was pretty cool! https://www.flickr.com/photos/124334950@N02/sets/72157644659338041/
    The runway one is on my iPhone5 as I forgot to get my camera down from the overhead locker, but I really like it none the less!

Thanks all in advance!

• Like Like x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    From the two above I prefer No.1 (personal preference) but to be honest they look (or better, they present something) very similar.
    Speaking only composition wise, I prefer No.1 cause the way the old man has his head turned like that gives the feeling of lonelyness - which I imagine is what you wanted to present...
    Also I notice that No.1 is slightly darker - more contrast or clarity or just different exposure etc.

I also like the plane shots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    keep it up

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Did you enjoy it? I love taking candids, shame mine are all cr@p though.

Both good shots, prefer the 1st one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks guys, the first I did pump the contrast slightly, tried it on the second but it just didn't look right. Having stepped away and come back to your comments I tend to agree #1 is better, as stated, shows his loneliness, and I think the slight darkerness (is that a word!) of it adds something to the sombre mood.

I did enjoy it, was just frustrated by the lack of range on the 16-50. If I do this again I'll take the 55-210. But longer term I will be investing in a prime in the 85-100 range which I think would suit better.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fundadores

Fundadores TalkEmount Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Street is hard game to master. It's all about being close. A 20-35 mm is a good range (uncropped). The kit lens is Ok for street but a bit slow. It's a nice first try. Prefer the second, love to see it in color.

• Like Like x 1
  7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Now you see to get this at 20-35mm I'd have to be stood 4 feet from the guy! He surely would have noticed me!!

Here's the original, still a powerful image...
    DSC03597-Version2_zps42d59df5.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I have to agree with # 1 being my choice. I like the profile and the mood it captures. Were these RAW captures and if so what program?
    Bruce

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks!

No just JPEG. I just quickly B&W/Crop/Contrast boosted them in iPhoto.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    great shots ! its the second shot for me, love the tired looking emotion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tomme

tomme TalkEmount Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    Norway
    Tom Erik Sivertsen
    • Like Like x 1
  12. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José