First curtain

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by macjim, Sep 11, 2011.

1. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I've read that the NEX-5N has an electronic shutter - first curtain - which gives the camera it's reported 0.02sec shutter speed, but is this just something that can only be used In certain circumstances, or is this something that can be left switched on all the time without penalty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    As far as I understand this is just how the shutter works on this camera. As to whether it has any side-effects I would say no. Now the new Ricoh GXR Mount module has an electronic shutter option that can only be activated in certain scene modes. Its advantages is that it would be silent, but I think electronic shutters are prone to the rolling shutter effect. The NEX won't be prone to that since the electronic is the just the first curtain and a mechanical shutter is still what takes the exposure.
  3. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Thank you, appreciated

Cheers, Macjim.
  4. DGM

DGM New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011
    Hey macjim,
    According to the manual, you may encounter some odd image effects with wide aperture lenses. I assume that means F 1.4 or faster, but they do not specify. Here is the text:

• When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area
    may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this item to [Off].
    • When a Minolta/Konica Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct
    exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven.

Best regards,