• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

First contact with NEX 7 !

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
OK guys, the "transfer" went well. Found a NEX 7 owner locally who was very curious of testing the 6, so we switched. This is not permanent for now, we're assessing both cameras and seing how things go.
After one hour setting up the 7 to my needs (this will without a doubt be a rolling process), I'd be glad if he decided to keep the 6 ;)
I like the way the 7 looks, and sits in the hand better. The dual topwheels are godsent. The TriNavi system, while not perfect, works pretty well, and I hardly need to do any menu digging anymore, except for the annoying and ever useful peaking, LCD and formatting functions (PLEASE Sony offer this as custom options for a future camera !!).
Image quality seems on par with the 6, with a tad more detail (not much of a surprise here). I'll be shooting the beast at mid res from now on (I do NOT need 4000x6000 files !!!). High ISO noise with NR set to Low seems quite usable, with a limit of 3200 for good quality. Beyond that, I wouldn't venture (neither would I with a 6), but globally I don't see any degrading of IQ at high ISO vs the 6 (which was about my only fear). Peaking works *awesome* on this unit, even better than on 6 since it's also available in the EVF (albeit a little less pronounced than on the LCD). Enough with that, a picture :

266b79bfbe4f6864e772c2c49f8ab150_8f3.jpg
NEX-7    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/100s    ISO 400

My favorite and usual model is taking a late nap, so I had to make do with a Barbie doll so far, but I'm charmed by what I'm seing :)

More later on...

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I look forward to the chronicling of your continuing adventures. :)

Well, chances are you won't have to wait too long until I tell you I'm hooked !
Having direct access to exp comp while retaining some auto exposure input from the camera is all I ever wanted. If you want to skip the annoying press-exp-comp-button-then-turn-wheel-then-shoot scheme on any other NEX (incuding the 6) you have to be in M or S mode with a legacy lens. With the TriNavi I can be in any mode and have exp comp at the tip of the right top wheel, while controling the ISO without any prior button press, via the backwheel. It's freaking brilliant. The ONE thing that Sony screwed up was not let the user chose which top wheel does what. But I can live with that. My kid is up now and I'm shooting her right now flashless at ISO 1600 in my very dim living room and I'm getting beautiful shots, even the WB is not so wonky that I'll revert to flash. If the guy wants his camera back, I'm buying one !

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Have you found you're perfect NEX?

No, but I sure have hopes Sony's working on it ;)

Yeah, I'd say in the existing models, the 7 is my perfect NEX. If the owner of this unit isn't game to keep the 6, I'll make an offer on it. The guy admitted he's not bonding with mirrorless and considered selling it anyway...

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Never say you don't need resolution. I print my photos regularly at sizes between 90x60 to 150x100 cm and I can tell you every Pixel counts! Okay, if you print really high quality, you can get away with 14 MP on a 150x100 print, but you'll certainly wish you had a higher res file. And as you should shoot RAW anyways, that's an even nicer way to conserve your photos for later big-ass use.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
Peaking works *awesome* on this unit, even better than on 6 since it's also available in the EVF (albeit a little less pronounced than on the LCD).
I can do peaking in the viewfinder with my NEX-6, am I missing something? :confused: So the 7 solves one of my annoyances on the 6, no direct access to exposure compensation. :mad:

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Never say you don't need resolution. I print my photos regularly at sizes between 90x60 to 150x100 cm and I can tell you every Pixel counts! Okay, if you print really high quality, you can get away with 14 MP on a 150x100 print, but you'll certainly wish you had a higher res file. And as you should shoot RAW anyways, that's an even nicer way to conserve your photos for later big-ass use.

Thx for the tip :)
Don't get me started on RAW though, the horse's been beaten to death more times than it cared to ;)

gio

TalkEmount Veteran
I can do peaking in the viewfinder with my NEX-6, am I missing something? :confused: So the 7 solves one of my annoyances on the 6, no direct access to exposure compensation. :mad:

i have direct access to exposure compensation on the nex 6
I,ve got it set to the bottom of multi wheel,press it and it,s there, turn it and it goes where you want

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Claire, I'm so happy for you that you found YOUR Nex!!! (until FF Nex comes out :p)
I think (and feel like) to bond with the gear is very important in photography and that it affects the photos we take ;)

Having studied the specs on both models (getting ready for when the time comes to replace me 5) - but without actually trying them at the photo store - I think I would have a very difficult time choosing which to buy. Your review/opinion matters a lot and it will make my decision "easier" when the times comes - looking forward for more of your impressions with the 7 as times passes by ;)

...If the owner of this unit isn't game to keep the 6, I'll make an offer on it. The guy admitted he's not bonding with mirrorless and considered selling it anyway...

Will you be selling your 6 in that case or keep 'em both?

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Sometimes the resolution is a double-edged sword. Though I seldom if ever feel the back edge, a lower res sensor does have its benefits. But IMO the handling of the N7 easily trumps most of those concerns. And when I do want the resolution, well, there it is! :)

I like the Barbie doll test shot - good sign of things to come! :)

I concur, up to 3200 is OK - particularly for my web listing shots. There may be better high-ISO performers but compared to the old days, I feel pretty spoiled.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Sometimes the resolution is a double-edged sword. Though I seldom if ever feel the back edge, a lower res sensor does have its benefits. But IMO the handling of the N7 easily trumps most of those concerns. And when I do want the resolution, well, there it is! :)

According to The Luminous Landscape, it's not. More resolution can have the benefit of looking better on bigger prints, but it doesn't have any negative effect. That's a myth.

Interesting read: DxOMark Camera Sensor

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
My 6 nearly didn't "peak" in the EVF. I did get a "shimmering" effect of in focus areas, but no real peaking. This 7 unit does peak in the EVF, not as much as on the LCD, but some.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
i have direct access to exposure compensation on the nex 6
I,ve got it set to the bottom of multi wheel,press it and it,s there, turn it and it goes where you want

Well that's not "direct" access in my book. You still have to press-then-turn. With the TriNavi you just have one top wheel assigned to exp comp that will affect exposure as soon as turned, with any prior pressing of anything...

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
No, not keeping the 6. I can't financially justify two cameras, and the second body wouldn't get any use. If the gentleman I'm trading with is happy with the 6, we'll do an even trade. If he's not and wants his 7 back, I'll make an offer on it (which I think he'll take because he's not so happy wth NEX), and sell the 6 (one month old !) to fund it.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
c40bdfa77adbf8827b0078a9fd7b1364_a86.jpg
NEX-7    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 1600

The 7's sensor is serving us pretty well.

ed6f2fbb0fdff90bc2af481dc262694f_a86.jpg
NEX-7    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 1600

I'm finding the images surprisingly clean at high ISO, at least on par with my 6...

e07d62b9c6ac75338c71ed8178483eff_1ed.jpg
NEX-7    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 1600

My main issue with available light, was wonky WB in mixed light. The 7 seems to deliver usable shots in this regard...

30900e476bceaad2aee287f09d1a260e_a86.jpg
NEX-7    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/40s    ISO 1600

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My main issue with available light, was wonky WB in mixed light. The 7 seems to deliver usable shots in this regard...

WB? That's what RAW is for ... ;)

Btw, like the colors in the second shot! They give a nice feeling.

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
So glad you love it! I too found WB more balanced than with the 5n (actually on the f3 too) and really dig the tri-navi. My 2nd one peaked really well and produced good, clear images (shame about it's other issues, sigh) I'm excited to see how your experience with it progresses. :D

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Lovely stuff...it's nice to see you finding something that suits you (or as my son likes to refer to it) "your zen moment".

Latest threads

Top Bottom