1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First A7 shot, my son playing with grandad

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Just bought the A7 with the Zeiss FE 24-70. A little learning curve from the Nex6 but happy so far. Just had a chance to take it over my dads when we had a BBQ (and typically it clouded over nice and grey when we got there).

Here is one of the better shots I got. My son and the old man are 'sat in a train' being thrown from side to side as it's bumpy, for those that know Thomas the tank engine apparently they were riding in Spencer.. because he's faster than thomas :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Those are memories you want forever

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yep, a treasure! :thumbup:

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Like!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

5. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Precious moments...nice capture!

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    30 some odd years ago, my Photo I professor taught us that one good frame from a roll of 36 was an ambitious target, and likely too much to expect starting out. He'd say that ONE good shot (like above) was easily worth the cost to get it. He related that to both a Pulitzer winner OR a family photo. This proves it. Years from now, this photo will survive as priceless, the gear that took it, and the cost of that gear, will be irrelevant. Good stuff. Now get it in a frame and hang it up for everyone to enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    Hmmmmm, I think I need to see more from this lens...

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    There's a sample thread going on here. Good to see you again, Lucille! :)

9. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    So far I'm liking the lens. It would be nice to be a little brighter but it would increase the price to have it at F2.8, plus there's already an A-Mount for that. It's reviewed OK but not great mainly due to soft corners wide open and distortion at both ends of the range. But reviews always review lenses based on the most expensive version lenses out there so it will always be compared against lenses 2-3 times it's cost and then the reviewer will complain as it doesn't match them!!! If I can get 80% of the performance for 1/3 the price then it's more than enough for me . That said distortion is easily dealt with in a few seconds post production and corner sharpness is only ever going to be noticed in landscape, architectural or astro photography... none of which you'd use a zoom lens for anyway.

So Zeiss colours and rendering in a sharp where it counts zoom lens for a decent price is good. Is it worth the premium over the kit lens? To me it is, partially because I got the A7 and lens for only about £150 more than i'd get the A7 and kit. The other reason is i'd have had to work harder to get this shot with kit than I did with the Zeiss. When this shot was taken it was late afternoon on a cloudy overcast day so to get the high shutter speed need to kill any movement I had it wide open, ISO 400 and deliberately underexposed by 1 stop knowing I could pull it back in post. With the kit i'd have probably been around f5 so had to pump up to ISO 800, it isn't a big jump but i'd have lost a bit of detail, less DR, more noise and possibly not got the 2 kids (1 small and one big) to stand out as much... plus not had the Zeiss look I enjoy so much from the couple of manual Zeiss' I have.

Here's another one, not quite as good as the above but still not bad.

_DSC0113.

• Like Like x 2