First A6000 issues/frustration. HELP

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, Dec 25, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ok, so I am struggling with my first issue on my A6000. It has nothing to do with the camera functions, but to do with the folder storage and playback.

What is happening is I am taking shots, then moving them to my computer for editing. Once moved to the computer I then delete them from the card. This is what I have been doing with all of my previous NEX's.All looks good until I put the card back in and try and review any

All looks good until I put the card back in and try and review any additional shots. The new ones are there, but then I have the old ones as well. They are blank, with a question mark and a caption saying, "Unable to display." I try and delete them on the camera and then it says, "Recovering Data" folowed by a notice saying, "Writing to the memory card was not completed correctly." Recover data." This does nothing and they are still there as "Unable to Display."

I've got 118 images, just like this. I tried reformating, which clears them out, but I start with the same process!!! What am I doing wrong????

2. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    So you are deleting them from the card then putting the card back in to try review them?

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    What's happening is you are deleting the images, but not the database pointers to the image. I believe it is located in AVF_INFO directory.

Why didn't we have the same issue with previous cameras? The NEX 5t (I guess other NEX cameras too) would recognize the pictures were not present and repoint the directory on it's own or so it would appear. There is also a chance that the directories were being corrupted and photos, put at risk. This may be why Sony decided to go this route. It may be annoying, but the best way to ensure records are deleted properly while maintaining database integrity is to use Sony software or delete in-camera.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I had this, my workflow is now to transfer to the computer, then once I've finished editing use the camera to re-format the card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks for the info.

I REALLY don't want to be reformatting every time. Dumd.

6. Nigelcorn

Nigelcorn TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 27, 2014
    I noticed the same thing and decided to reformat after transferring the photos. I did this yesterday after Christmas pics, then I remembered that the videos are stored in a different folder than the pictures. So, I formatted the card with Christmas morning visits on it without transferring then to the computer. Oops.

7. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    There's a menu choice on the first screen under the playback group called Delete. That's the one you want rather than reformatting every time.

Just choose Delete all in folder.

Deleting is much faster than formatting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cool. The thought of manually deleting 325 images over Christmas was NOT appealing. Nice to know one can delete entire folders.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I use delete "all in folder" on my 5t, but I have never seen this on the a6000. My choices are select multiple imgs or all in a single date. I hate that since I often have photos over a few days. Am I looking in the wrong place or maybe behind on firmware?

• Like Like x 1
  10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Took some time, but I worked it out!!

Go to View Mode=Folder (Still) - either view Menu or in playback and going to calendar and then down one on the left side 4 viewing options.
    At this point, when selecting a folder I thought you could just press the delete button, but you can't. You have to press Menu, then Delete and it gives you the option for all in folder.

• Like Like x 2
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for their input.