1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Firmware updates for LA-EA2?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Mar 26, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    As I am going through firmware updates on my NEX 6 and making sure that my lens firmware is all up to date, I started looking for an update to my LA-EA2 and ran into a bit of confusion.

On the UK site (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/LA-EA2#Faq) it shows the LA-EA1 updates on the LA-EA2 support page. On the US site (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab) it shows that there are no firmware updates for the LA-EA2. However, if you go to the LA-EA1 Support page on the US site (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab) there are drivers available for the LA-EA1.

So, my question is: are the firmware updates for the LA-EA1 the same as the LA-EA2?

I have not submitted the question to Sony just yet because I wanted to check here first ;)

2. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    So, I just got thinking about this again after a losing track of my question for s little while.

I have not had the time to reach out to Sony yet, but after trying out my SEL 55-210 at my nephew's lacrosse game this week, I realized that I am going to be much happier shooting games with the LA-EA2 and A - Mount lenses.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I guess this I pretty much just a "bump" ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I don't have 55-210 but just got a Beercan, while it tends to hunt in low light, overall the AF speed with LA-EA2 is pretty fast. And noisy ;) so I hope you're not going to shoot video with it (at least not in AF).

4. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Agree on the noise compared to native E Mount lenses! No video for me through the LA-EA2.

When I moved from Sony DSLR to NEX, I kept a few lenses with the thought I could continue to use them with the LA-EA2 adapter. It works great, and I like using it, just wish there was IBIS in the mirrorless bodies... sigh... I have a bit of trouble at evening lacrosse games with "slower" lenses keeping things sharp without stabalization.

It does focus fast - faster than native - but I am hoping for some kind of improvement with firmware update. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but it looks like there may be a possible option ;-)

5. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I was able to spend more time digging and I feel comfortable with the answer I have come up with: there is no firmware update for the LA-EA2 adapter. The update for the LA-EA1 was more for compatability with specific NEX bodies and A - Mount lenses.

Given this, I think I am still waiting for some fix that probably isn't even needed ;-)