1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Firmware updates for all IBIS models

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by bdbits, May 17, 2019 at 12:58 AM.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sony released a slew of firmware updates. I've not seen where anybody noticed anything in particular was changed. Sony has only said the oft-repeated generic "improves stability". Some have noted that these are all IBIS-equipped cameras. Who knows for sure but Sony.

Brian Smith's page has links to the Sony page for each model. Note that Sony makes it appear you need a Sony account. But toward the bottom of the page for my camera, there is a link to download without creating account. (How annoying, Sony!)

Sony Releases Firmware Updates for a9, a7R III, a7 III, a7R II, a7 II, a7S II, a6500 and a99 II

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Yeah I saw this yesterday. I'm waiting a few days to see if anybody has problems. Nice that they're updating the older cameras though, I thought my A7Rii was out of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Took 12 minutes to upload for my A7R3 on a MBP (2015). It has to be doing something different now, :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Did the update on my A7R2. As usual there was a glitch in the update process (Mac): the System Software Updater didn't start automatically (step 6 in the prescription), I had to fire it up by going to the Resources folder in the downloaded package. Also the Playmemories app started up on connecting the camera; uninstalled it promptly, must remember to never install it again. Profanities were uttered. After that everything went smoothly and the camera still works, i.e. it starts up and it makes a picture by pressing the shutter button.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  5. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    I always start from the resources folder - the other updater seems to be just for Windows.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2012
    You know, I have an all-Apple set up (iMac, iPad and iPhone) and I picked up an inexpensive Windows laptop just to do Sony firmware updates. And they still scare me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I really, really wish Sony would implement updates by letting you dump a file on the card and reboot the camera. :cautious:

I am on Windows 10 and did my A7ii update late last night. It took what seemed like forever but no problems. Of course I have not been out shooting yet, but I expect it will be fine. :rolleyes: 

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Agreed. A tried and true method used by most camera brands since the dawn of the digital age. But it wouldn't be proprietary, which would violate Sony's Prime Directive. :doh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't think so, as this download is specifically designated as intended for macOS. The UpdateSettingTool.app in the root folder must be run as a first step, as per Sony's instructions. Brian Smith rightfully advises to manually start the SystemSoftwareUpdater.app from the Resources folder, as I discovered by trial and error.
    Schermafbeelding 2019-05-17 om 16.53.55.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. firemist

Dec 4, 2015
    Ad, I always ignore that UpdateSettingTool.app. I go straight to the resources folder, double click on the updater in that, and things just go smoothly from there. Done this 3 times so far without issue. There are a few YouTube Videos out there telling folks to just that. Anyhow, whatever works is the objective.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I followed @firemist@firemist's advice, and the update went off without a hitch on my A7RII. Mid-2015 Retina MacBook Pro running the latest MacOS 10.14.5.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    My PC is down as we get new flooring, so I won't be trying any up date for a while.

Besides, I may just buy a new camera instead.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. christilou

christilou TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina

This is why I had such trouble on my Mac last time. It took me ages to click on the resources folder and when I did, it worked as if by magic.\

• Like Like x 2
  14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    Had Macs a long time and until the late update was using my 2012 Mac Pro to update for Sony using Sierra and all worked good when I started the update thru the file inside the Resources folder. The updater link that is outside the Resources folder never worked, so bad on Sonys part not to be able to fix this simple link for the 3 updates I have done in the last 8 months.

Got a new 2019 iMac 27" 2 weeks ago that uses the newest system Mojave. No matter what I did (including trying a non-Sony USB cable) the Sony updater just quit after a pop up screen said I need to check the Security & Privacy in System Preferences. Seems that you need to give permission for apps to access the system now with Mojave, but for whatever reason the Sony app does not appear in the S&P screen of apps trying to access the system. There isn't a "+" to adds apps either. After trying many times I just gave up and loaded the updater onto my 2012 MacBook Pro that also uses Sierra and proceeded that way. Took about 10 minutes to update, so it seems there must some interesting things in the update. Will be shooting with the A73 today and try it out, but I did notice the camera starts up a bit faster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    firemist, yes that is checked in the General screen. I see that under the Privacy tab in S&P there is a Full Disk Access listing in the menu to the left. That screen has a +/- to add or subtract apps. Maybe the Sony updater app can be added here, but of course I will need to add it to my Application folder first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I have a long-planned vacation trip coming up...I use a Mac laptop with Mojave OS....I think I will wait until I get back to do the update. My camera is working well, as far as I know.

17. Installed the update, no issues with the camera since (none prior, either...).

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.