1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware update

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Frank Teurlings, Aug 27, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Seems so. It's also available on Sony NL. Maybe I'll wait a few days until the more adventurous among us have tried it :).

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Me too.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd be happy to try it, but my NEX-5 is out of luck, unfortunately.

4. guillecastro

guillecastro TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    Installed on my nex6. Everything is ok. I notice the LCD and the EVF movement much more fluid (smooth), like more FPS... Maybe it's just me :)

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have a NEX-6 I bought two weeks ago from Sony. At first it would not connect or upload/install apps. I'm an I.T. guy, so this stuff isn't new to me, btw. After getting nothing back from Sony other than what I fed them, I just gave up on the apps for awhile. Tonight, I installed the firmware update. Now the body won't come out of USB mode and battery won't charge. at 5% left, I packed it up and it is going back. I don't have the time or inclination to fight a camera at this level. I'd rather go shoot with a dependable piece of kit, even a less featured one.

Be careful on the update, just sayin'

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That sucks, Steve. And I don't blame you for bailing. I tried to do the update on my NEX-6 yesterday, but I kept getting an error from the Sony website. Today the update for the NEX-6 seems to have disappeared completely from their site, though the NEX-5 update is still available. Maybe they yanked it because of some problem, which appears to have bit you.

I guess I dodged a bullet. But I sure don't like paying for the privilege of beta testing Sony software. Especially when what happened to you is the result. :nightmare:

7. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    5R update completed no problems. No noticeable improvements either.

Steve, flame me if this sounds condescending, but you did complete the last step? That is remove the battery for a few seconds.

A previous update on the 5R at first appeared to toast the camera until I remembered to pull the battery...

8. rkworld

rkworld TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2013
    NYC
    Roman
    nex6 here, completed with no issues

9. garethwi

garethwi TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Netherlands
    Gareth
    I've just update my NEX-6,and for Frank and Ad. It's a NL model (from Coolblue) with update from sony.nl.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks! Did you notice any changes?

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Just did the update on 2 Nex 6's. No issues but my Leica lenses still won't auto focus....
    I notice no change on either body.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Hiyas all. First post here. My nex 7 arrives in the mail tomorrow, the 30th (birthday present to myself). Im not sure how nex cameras are with firmware updates, but most stuff Ive gotten Ive bought has needed to be updated once it arrived. I do a lot of HDR photography so having the previous update that upped it from .7 to 3 is definitely something I want. Im just worried with this latest firmware update being so new about updating to it. Is there a way, incase the nex 7 doesnt come with the previous update already installed, that I can download that somewhere, or will I be forced to to install the latest one?

(Hope that makes sense lol)

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't be afraid, Sony knows what they're doing. Okay, a PS3 FW update totally scrapped the console a few months back, but usually, you can trust them.

14. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Updated my NEX-7 from Sony Australia without issue.

15. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Any noticeable changes on the NEX-7?

16. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I haven't noticed anything yet.

17. Benjamin

Thanks, another question if anyone has the time. Is there anywhere that gives good clear instructions on how to update the firmware?

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The instructions on the Sony site seem good and clear to me. Is there something in them that's confusing?

19. Benjamin

No, I just wasnt able to find em till a couple minutes ago! Thanks. So used to Canon site, where theres little to no instructions.