Firmware 1.21 .. .should you?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by nippa, Apr 23, 2015.

1. nippa

nippa TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    Lots of hand wringing over at DPReview about this new firmware at the Sony Japan Site.
    The download is in English and it updated my A7 more easily than v1.20.

Having used it for 3 days now I can't see any difference , although I've not been testing in the low light conditions for which I believe it was aimed.

http://www.sony.jp/i...2_6000_win.html

http://www.sony.jp/i...e/ILCE-7M2.html

2. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Site was still in Japanese when I just opened it.

3. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I am on 1.20. I think I will wait for the US version when it shows up. Someone said their Sigma 60 focused slowly after 1.21. I need more confidence.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I figure that there has to be some reason the update hasn't been shared beyond the non-Japanese site. Either Sony is unsure of it, or it addresses some fix only to Japan-localized cameras, or Sony's software division is incompetent. And I have yet to read anything from anyone who's downloaded it saying that they noticed any improvement in their camera's performance at all. With all that, there seems to be no compelling reason for me to install the update, and plenty of reasons not to.

I'll wait. :coffee-26:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. nippa

nippa TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    The actual software that you download is in English just be sure to get files appropriate for your camera.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I just read that too, Ad. Makes me glad I didn't bother.

8. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Yep makes sense. Working as a product designer Im never in a hurry to update the Firmware without very specific knowledge about what its for and what it fixes. If its a non-essential update and fixes things that don't matter to me I will skip it. Ive always been "If its not broke don't fix it" kind of guy :p

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I updated it last night with no problems after the LR update... However I cannot open the dpreview post for whatever the reason...

Now I managed to open the link...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That is very interesting. Why wouldn't a company want to program a disadvantage in using the competitor's products! Certainly there may be ethics in question, but is economic survival (or even a tiny piece of it) more important than ethics? (I just updated my FW to 1.20.)

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know, Tom. I'd hardly think Sony would create a firmware upgrade to degrade their competitor's products, and then seed it to just one country. As the saying goes: Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Well I surely don't know either David, but I can imagine that a company could pull that kind of a stunt (althouhg Sony wouldn't be my first guess as a company that would do that).

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Works perfect on my A6000

14. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So I went to the sony.jp support site and translated the release notes;
    It remarks in relation to what 1.21 has over 1.20 "in-body software ver1.20, software updates of the lens body is it was corrected the symptoms do not start."
    This is the original text if anyone can do better than Google?
    ・本体ソフトウェアver1.20において、レンズ本体のソフトウェアのアップデートが始まらない症状を修正しました。

I take this to mean, something in 1.20 stopped the camera from starting up. If it is true this relates only to Japanese models, my guess is a batch of cameras bound only for Japan used a slightly different chip somewhere on the main board (believe it or not chips get changed all the time in what claim to be the same phone/camera/laptop etc).
    The 1.20 firmware probably forgot to have included some different driver or API to handle that, and so the camera would not turn on.
    I see it all the time in my industry (telecoms manufacturer), our H/W suppliers send us a batch of cards (which we have used for years), we put them in our servers, they don't work, they say sorry and send us an updated driver to handle the different chip they had to use.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    For me, when it comes to firmware -- if it ain't broke ...

16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    OK, I broke down and installed V1.21. On dpreview there were some reports about better AF in low light and who wouldn't want that? Anyway, the update went without a hitch like any other I've ever done. Couldn't say if AF is really better.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks for that assessment addieleman.

18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The daughter of one of my wife's co-workers was looking for a camera. She liked ours (5n and A6000), and was looking to get an A6000. I had originally wanted a silver one, but they weren't out yet when I needed the camera, so I got black at the time.

She wanted black, and I offered to order a silver one (They've been discounted lately), and sell her my black one for $50 less than the new silver one.

So I now have a silver A6000, and it came with 1.21 already installed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2