1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Firmware 1.21 available from Sony Japan

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tomO2013, Apr 12, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    updating now. .. . ... (slowly)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Aaaaaand?

Why doesn't Sony just roll out these firmware updates across all countries and languages at the same time? There's no way I'm going to rely on a Google-translated web site to give me the specific instructions that will (inshallah) keep my camera from getting bricked. :shakehead:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Seriously I won't update this version. Heard lots of bad things about it. I will wait for the 1.30 version.

5. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Installed fine on a7 last week. The EXE installer actually is in English. Do follow instructions on computer screen carefully.
    I'll install new firmware on a7ii later tonight.

6. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I had problems just the other day updating to 1.20. I had 3rd party Vivitar batteries installed. Does anyone think that might have inhibited the update to go? Kept getting a "Could Not Update" error and it asked me to try again. Should the card be in or out? Not sure why Im having difficulties. I have the correct USB cable.

7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i was actually searching for a raw driver for windows 8
    [When i came across the Firmware update(English version)] because even tho i have adobe lightroom 5.7.1 installed and the (old?) sony raw driver ... my new a7ii files won't work in the regular windows 8 picture program.

i'm only on this version of windows for a short time anyway. sending in my laptop for some hardware replacements. and then when it comes back its back to windows 7

8. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I also have Vivitar battery used during upgrade without problem. Card should be OUT.

Just updated a7ii to 1.21 without problem.
    Though, update a7ii is simpler than a7 which required more steps.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Did both, no issues. Haven't done anything to test changes, but updates went smoothly.

10. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    A7s and A7ii updated flawlessly.
    Only tried A7s so far but locks on noticeably quicker with 24-70 in lower light.

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've seen some posts on dpreview where people report that their camera became unoperative ("bricked") after they updated with a third-party battery. I'd strongly advise to use an original Sony battery during the update. I'm not afraid to update firmware in all kinds of gear, but I'm very hesitant with this 1.21 update. There must be a reason why it's only on the Japanese website. I'll wait until it's released on Sony USA and/or NL and even then I'll wait a day or two to find out what's happening when the more audacious people do the update.

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Maybe Sony's using Japanese camera owners as their beta testers for the firmware. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I used my a6000 as an experiment and it originally seemed to brick it. The LCD was stuck displaying and none of the buttons worked. Battery pull and waited 5 minutes; made no difference. LCD came back on, but nothing else worked. Finally I decided to hook back up the USB and rerun the software. I didn't get that far, because it detected the camera and aborted the upgrade because it noticed I had the latest version. Suddenly everything worked. :confused-69::)

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Scary...

15. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    After the firmware runs there is a delay before the screen comes back on. I think this is where a lot of the posts are getting excited on dpreview.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    In my case the LCD was on and displaying what was in live view mode for a half hour. Battery pull and back to live view. :confused:

17. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Oooh that's scary alright. Both of mine took perhaps 2 mins to come back on after the update green bar got to 100% on my computer. Updated on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.3

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Both updates here were also Mac 10.10.3, and both cameras came back to life immediately. Just like any other update, maybe a bit quicker.

19. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks Ad, that did the trick! Went smooth with original battery and no card. I was just trying to update to 1.20. Im with you, I will wait till 1.21 is on a US server before installing.

For mac users I did see that you need to update your OS to at least to 10.10.1. I am on 10.10.3.

20. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I did the update before going out for a walk today.
    I think there was a third party battery in it. It took a long time to load but the camera came right back and it worked flawlessly on the walk.

So, no problems here.