Fireworks on Grapevine Lake, Texas

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Every year, a town near me shoots off fireworks each Friday night during the summer. Here's a few from last night. Sony A7ii, CV75mm/f1.8 Heliar, 2-stop ND filter, 13 sec at f11 ISO 100. (Incandescent WB also).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
OK, one more, cropped.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
These are great I've yet to succeed with photographing fireworks!
If it helps, I was at ISO 100; f11; about 10 sec*; Tungsten WB; and a 2-stop (Cokin 4ND) ND filter. Lens was my Voigtlander 75mm/f1.8 VM lens.

* I just used a set shutter speed mostly, not Bulb. The A7ii allows 10 sec or 13 sec.

It's important not to over-expose or the "hot" areas (usually near the center of the exploding firework shell) get washed out.

I processed these in LR CC Classic, Adobe Color Calibration.

If you use an autofocus lens, you need to pre-focus at infinity (before sunset) then tape down the lens and switch to manual. Use a remote shutter release.

JudyKeown

New to TalkEmount
Beautiful photos! Do you mind sharing your shooting location at the lake? They say Rockledge has the best views, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!!

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Beautiful photos! Do you mind sharing your shooting location at the lake? They say Rockledge has the best views, but I wasn't sure. Thank you!!
Judy,

Rockledge Park was where I was. Thanks!

Peter

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
If it helps, I was at ISO 100; f11; about 10 sec*; Tungsten WB; and a 2-stop (Cokin 4ND) ND filter. Lens was my Voigtlander 75mm/f1.8 VM lens.

* I just used a set shutter speed mostly, not Bulb. The A7ii allows 10 sec or 13 sec.

It's important not to over-expose or the "hot" areas (usually near the center of the exploding firework shell) get washed out.

I processed these in LR CC Classic, Adobe Color Calibration.

If you use an autofocus lens, you need to pre-focus at infinity (before sunset) then tape down the lens and switch to manual. Use a remote shutter release.
Thanks! It was only last night we realized today was Bastille Day in France and there would be fireworks.
Not having a tripod just an awkwardly angled balcony ledge, also no ND filters I had to modify a bit. SOOC with a slight bit of Snapseed. A7s, CV 75/2.5 possibly at f16.

bobbill

TalkEmount Regular
Excellent. I am with Christilou...no clue...how did you know how to set up rig? Guessing you do this a lot...a lot lot.

Still kept the link...I do not do fireworks but you never know.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks Bobbill. I've been to that particular location several times (they shoot the fireworks on Friday evenings all through the Summer) so I know what focal length and settings work, through trial and error. I'm far enough away that I can just set the camera on the tripod and don't have to keep adjusting to frame the bursts. Glad you liked my shots!

Peter

Blu30nyx

TalkEmount Regular
Really well done and clear. I have a bit of a struggle with low-light and night shots like these so I never bother. I do love the way they turn out though when you know how to take the shots. How long did it take you to get this good at it?

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Well thanks. It's not my first rodeo as they say, been shooting fireworks for a few years now. It does take some perseverance that's for sure, to get the colors saturated as well as a nice "bloom"

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom