1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fired up the DSLR last night - mixed impressions.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jefenator, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Haven't used my old DSLR (Canon T2i) in months, so I thought I'd give it a whirl again.

I have to admit, the DSLR w/ a stabilized zoom yields a certain work flow - particularly for deeper focus shots. I use the stabilization to buy a couple stops more aperture - that's a pretty big deal. Then with that lightning-fast phase AF & zooming, I get the shots I need, very easily and quickly. This is so easy, I could almost have a helper do it for me!

t2i-deep-focus.

Getting in closer & having to select focus areas, I find Live View is a must. I used to begrudge having to use the rear LCD but now I've made peace with it. I thought I might bitterly miss focus peaking, but I found I managed decently enough without it.

t2i-shallow-focus.

I like the way my Canon 15-85 zoom works with AF and manual override. I can let the AF do its thing, then twist the focus ring to fine tune. And it's physical - not focus-by-wire, which I still dislike. Sometimes it's nice to have more physical buttons and switches for things (particularly AF/MF). While I'm at it, I found Canon's overall layout & menu system to be very refreshing (for the most part).

So, going briefly back to the old system, what did I miss about the NEX? First off, the N7's viewfinder is SO much bigger and more useful. Live view right in the EVF makes the N7 my hand-held close-up KING! I also love having instant image review & menu surfing, right there in the finder. I like being able to change ISO and aperture without pushing multiple buttons. I love the instant shutter response!

The biggest difference that strikes me has to do with work flow. I mentioned it as an asset for the DSLR but that can also be a liability. With manual primes on the NEX, it feels like my images are more hand-crafted. I like the way the N7 facilitates deliberation where the DSLR to a certain extent discourages it.

Also, for background blur, a longer prime certainly trounces the shorter zoom:

micro105demo-2.

Another difference isn't entirely Canon's fault. I like the dynamic range & exposure latitude with the RAW files better on my current, state of the art NEX-7 than on the now-ancient Canon. (Canon may have an edge on color, though - I notice it seems a little more naturally vivid, particularly in the reds. That may be worth investigating...)

t2i-reds.

So for the moment, the jury's out on whether I will ditch the old DSLR or not - I will likely go ahead and keep it and employ it for its strengths. The N7 is certainly in no danger, though!

That's my impression, anyway. If you're still reading, thanks for listening! :)

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've hauled out my Pentax K20 once in the year that I've had the 5N and then only because I told myself it was stupid to have all this high-end gear sitting on a shelf not being used.

Emotionally I want to hang on to it, but intellectually I know it is just going to sit some more so I really need to get busy and unload it to someone who will use it. All that time and money collecting my system and now it just sits. [sigh]

On the other hand I could buy new lenses for the 5N. 8^)

3. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Well if you're going to be ditching digital photo gear - particularly bodies - it certainly is a case of the sooner the better!

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, I know. The body is already nearly worthless. The lenses are film lenses though, so I should do ok there. Particularly if Pentax ever gets off the dime and brings out a FF body. Maybe I'll just sell the K20 & keep the lenses. [shrug]

5. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Of course, once the body becomes practically worthless, one might as well just hang on to it! ;)

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There is that.

7. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    I was using my Sony A700 over the weekend along with my 5N. There's very little the A700 will do better, its a 4 year old camera now after all, but it is a well made and sturdy machine. Theres now doubt though I was getting much better results with my 5N. The in built HDR is certainly much more advanced. One thing the A700 does have is obviously a bigger on board computer processing everything. The 5N sure does have to think about things for a while after a long exposure.

I'll keep my A700 for studio portraiture work, something the 5N really isn't designed for at all. But other than that its NEX all the way for me from now on.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I had a Canon DSLR 500D (Rebel T1i I think in the US?) and I don't miss it all that much at all. The exposure would sometimes be off and the saturation and contrast had always been to low for my liking. I PP about 90% of my photos from that camera, maybe it was a dud. What I do like about it is the IS when deliberately set to slow shutter speed for panning a moving subject. I used to get really interesting fluid motion-flow effects there that I can't emulate with my 5N + 18-55. Definitely better for sports than the 5N but that genre is no longer part of my scene...