1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Finally

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by quezra, Dec 29, 2013.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    My folks showed up with my A7 kit and 55/1.8Z ... but I didn't have much chance to shoot anything but baby/grandparents pics in our tiny and slightly dully lit house. I love the camera already, didn't notice anything particularly worrying about my kit lens so far, and really love the 55/1.8Z.

The first negative so far is the shutter button placement, which I already knew about. I haven't pixel-peeped anything yet but shooting casually didn't seem to cause me any problems, contrary to some reports that great care is required to get the most out of it (or maybe that only applies to the A7R). The shutter slap is louder than the 5N even with EFCS on but nothing to worry about. The AF is definitely faster than the 5N by a distance, yet not exactly speedy.

Just so happy to have it here at last and the savings between US and UK prices was more than my CV 35/1.4 cost!

• Like Like x 4
  2. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    And finally some pics:

SOOC JPEG with kit lens... gotta say I wasn't perfectly happy with this result but oh well, I was trying to snap while going for groceries!

The Zeiss 55/1.8 has already become my favorite lens, beating the 35/1.8 comfortably!

...though I have to remember that f1.8 on FF is not the same as f1.8 on APS-C!

And the super thin DoF money shot with FDn 85/1.2... I think at f1.4:
    Crazy, almost as overdone as those fake in-camera tilt effects (and super hard to nail focus with a live subject).

• Like Like x 9
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats and great first shots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy.

Nice first shots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Congrats! That 55/1.8 ZA is indeed something special, I tried one at a camera show last Saturday and I must say that the thought of getting it doesn't leave my mind since, though my funds are completely depleted (and more :(). Are you still bothered by the A7's shutter button placement? I was a bit annoyed by it in the beginning and I've completely forgotten about it very soon after that.

Depth-of-field? Say what? Doesn't exist on an A7. I've just come back from a family gathering where I did some snapshots with the CV 40/1.4, Minolta MC 50/1.4 and MD 85/2. Today I made the shots, thinking carefully who's face had to be sharp, something I didn't do with the NEX-6. This time the pics were a lot better than with my first round of shooting people in dimly lit places. The MD 85/2 has a laughably thin depth-of-field, even at f/2.8 when pixel-peeping. That said, at 24 MP a family pic doesn't have to be critically sharp pixelwise for it to be acceptable to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Actually now that you mention it, I don't think I thought too much about it once I was out. But every time I look at the camera it annoys me. I have small hands so everything is perfect except that button, which I feel the camera strap gets in the way of reaching as well. I've only actually actively shot about a couple hours with this camera in total so far though, so perhaps it really does get better. What I didn't expect though was how wonderful the smooth press feels and alleviates shutter shake. It is really awesome.

Secondly, shutter slap: My dad was shooting with his new Canon SL1 and it's just as loud. I could have laughed at the furore over this little storm in a teacup... I mean how do DSLR shooters ever shoot at all if that's supposed to be loud? I agree the sound without EFCS is a weird delay-slap-thunk sound that could take getting used to.

Thirdly, I love programmable auto ISO. Oh how I have longed for it, annoyed by the 5N's restrictive options. I feel I get that tiny ounce of extra automation that allows me to actually concentrate more on composition than exposure (as a M shooter) that I'd been craving. Perfect.

Fourth, coming from a 5N, I have to get used to the fact that every manual-control rich camera feels chunky next to it. The FZ200 felt chunky. The HS50SX felt chunky (but hollowly plastic). Now the A7 feels chunky, but with a very nice heft. I have also got so used to the 5N's single dial being used for everything that it's actually taking some used to get the ISO, aperture and shutter dials right.

Fifth, I love the option to "DSLR" the camera by turning the rear display to a controls-only type panel and shoot everything through the EVF unless you need to tilt the screen for some angles. The battery lasts very long in this + airplane mode too, and I feel like this is the most natural mode to shoot with the camera so you take care of your posture and handling when shooting.

And finally... I still can't believe this is a full-frame camera. Having once played with my cousin's D4 and thinking what kind of monster is needed for a full frame... then learning how much it costs... Seriously still can't believe here I am a couple years later shooting with my own FF camera. And can't wait to try my other lenses on it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Great shots quezra. There's something really special and intimate about the full-frame 50mm perspective, as opposed to a 35mm x 1.5 crop perspective. That's what sold me on to full-frame, originally, even before high ISO performance.

As for the A7 shutter sound, from my store testing I found it extremely satisfying—less thwacky than a Nikon FF, less flimsy and squishy than a NEX. Just another one of those little things that adds to the shooting experience.

• Like Like x 2
  8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    I'd posted this in the A7 and 28-70 thread:

5 minutes' work on the sky gave:
    137eskyhdr.

Love this camera!

• Like Like x 4
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011