Finally wide....RMC Tokina 17/3.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, Feb 27, 2014.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Getting away from crop cameras can finally let one explore their wide side. Picked up an clean little RMC Tokina 17/3.5 in C/Y mount. Took it out for a little spin. All shots on a7.

better days

my reflections are protections

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Wonderful set. It looks like an excellent lens.
  3. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Thank you MAubrey. So far I am pleased with the results. I will need some more shooting to really start to learn its character. I was also considering the Tamron SP 17/3.5 in adaptall mount but so far I glad I went with the Tokina.
  4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Why you could not explore the wide side with crop cameras?
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Some nice shots from what looks like a nice lens
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA

I got my Tokina 17mm for a (rough) 24mm equivalent on the NEX-7.

Angel Lake, Nevada by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

It did a decent job for that but it does even better as a true 17mm on the A7!

Toasty Sunset by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Lighthouse Interior by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Just curious, do you notice a soft edge on yours. Mine gets mushy along the entire right edge. The left edge can get real sharp, all the way to the corners but the right never quite gets it together. No biggie if you plan ahead and crop to 8x10, or if the subject matter isn't too detailed. I assume it's a sample variation thing.

Attached Files:

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Really nice!!! #1 is my favourite :thumbup:
    Love the post processing too - gives a "vintage" look/feeling :)
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Great stuff, both from the OP and Jeff! It seems everyone who gets their hands on a FF camera is excited when using their legacy wide-angle glass. I know I was!
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice, guys. f/otographer, I love the vintage look, particularly #1. I know you've told us before, but what did you use to get that look? I think I lost the message you sent me a few months ago.

10. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    alaios- Its not that you cant shoot wide on a crop camera, its just that you are always hampered by the crop. Using a FF camera opens up more options to shoot lenses they way there were meant to be shot. For instance, the Tokina would be a 25.5mm on my NEX 7...much less dramatic. I could use it on the Speedbooster to bring back its original field of view but any barrel distortion in the lens would be amplified by the slight barrel distortion on the speedbooster. You simply avoid all that with FF.

Oh, and by the way....the shots above are what I used to 'test' this lens. In another thread in response to your question about lens testing I advised you to just take your lenses out and make art with them to see how they performed. Thats exactly what I did here. I bought this Tokina and other then knowing what angle of view it would give me I had no idea how it would perform. I could have mounted it up and shot a billion boring photos of brick wall. Instead, I loaded the lens up and went for a drive down some country roads. This field test confirmed that the lens was able to translate my vision into a pleasing photograph. I intend to use the lens even more to learn its strengths and weaknesses. Propping it up against a wall and clicking away would have told me nothing and left me with a bunch of useless pictures of walls.

Jeffenator- Wonderful pics, thanks for posting. I especially like the stairwell, lots of detail there.

addieleman- Thank you. And very true...FF just opens up wide angle options that werent there before. It good to be able to capture some of the scenes I was envisioning before but simply didnt have the equipment to capture.

Tony- I use to process many of my photos. There are tons of options, with many 'hokey' outcomes for the unwary. I have stumbled on a combination (a secret!) that seems to work for many of my shots. For what its worth, I used my secret combo on the first pic, only used slight pixlr processing for the second pic, and the third is basically just a raw file converted to jpeg using Sony software with minimal conversion and just a little pixler, mainly to straighten the horizon and sharpen the hood logo.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Jeff, sorry...I missed the bit down at the bottom of your photos. I havent noticed anything yet really about corner performance, I need to test it more. What I have seen so far makes me think it is ok but I really need to use it a lot more. Yours sounds like it might have a decentered element. If its sharp on one side it should be sharp on both. But your right, sample variation plays a huge part in these old lenses.
    • Like Like x 1