FINALLY had a Hummingbird show up...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Aug 18, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I saw a Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird zip through the back yard yesterday...then saw her again today...so I scrambled a feeder back up and she was at it in no time. Had a pair of these feeders up in May and June without a bird, finally took them down in July...then this one shows up and the clouds broke / had bright sunshine for 45 minutes like it was ordained or something.

Canon FDn 400/4.5, NEX-7, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, ISO100, 1/100, F11

View attachment 48479

View attachment 48480

View attachment 48481

View attachment 48482

…..AND TALK ABOUT GREAT CAMOUFLAGE !!

View attachment 48483

View attachment 48484

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you got to shoot it.

I have two in place, but they are not in good shooting locations.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I understand...and my preference is to take wildlife shots with as little man-made stuff in the way as possible.
    But hummers are tough to get like that...have to go to some lengths building something like a contrived / camouflaged feeder tube in amongst a hanging basket of flowers, etc.
    Job-1 for me this summer was just to see if I could even get them coming to the back yard at all and a common Hummingbird feeder approach was the most expedient.
    At least a Tele's DOF usually makes a smooth, out of focus background that helps feature the bird even on the feeder. And I was pleased to get another chance to practice exposure in Manual Mode, thought the colors and detail turned out fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.