FINALLY had a Hummingbird show up...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Aug 18, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I saw a Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird zip through the back yard yesterday...then saw her again today...so I scrambled a feeder back up and she was at it in no time. Had a pair of these feeders up in May and June without a bird, finally took them down in July...then this one shows up and the clouds broke / had bright sunshine for 45 minutes like it was ordained or something.

Canon FDn 400/4.5, NEX-7, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, ISO100, 1/100, F11

…..AND TALK ABOUT GREAT CAMOUFLAGE !!

• Like Like x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you got to shoot it.

I have two in place, but they are not in good shooting locations.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I understand...and my preference is to take wildlife shots with as little man-made stuff in the way as possible.
    But hummers are tough to get like that...have to go to some lengths building something like a contrived / camouflaged feeder tube in amongst a hanging basket of flowers, etc.
    Job-1 for me this summer was just to see if I could even get them coming to the back yard at all and a common Hummingbird feeder approach was the most expedient.
    At least a Tele's DOF usually makes a smooth, out of focus background that helps feature the bird even on the feeder. And I was pleased to get another chance to practice exposure in Manual Mode, thought the colors and detail turned out fine.