1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Finally, an NEX-7 successor rumor

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    After more than three years, it finally seems like Sony is getting their things together and is ready to announce a high-end APS-C camera again.

According to SAR, at least, we might see such a camera early 2015. And while weather sealing, 1/8000 shutter speed and a newer gen 24 MP sensor are not huge upgrades, the feeling of having an upgrade path to not make my €4k investment in lenses worthless is awesome. Oh, and it should have better AF, I suppose. As for video - 4k uncompressed output is nice to have, and 1080p uncompressed should be pretty good hopefully. But, judging by any Sony APS-C sensor video output today, I won't get too excited about that.

What do you think? Are you as excited as I am? Do you miss something? I certainly think the NEX-7 is close enough to be a perfect camera, a few improvements here and there might just be enough to make me want to upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I'm also excited (assuming this is true). I never felt the A6000 was a true "upgrade" from the NEX-7. Without that I've seriously started to look at changing to full frame, especially with the rollout of the A7ii. Now I will wait a bit more and hope to see if the A7000 is for real. Here would be my wishlist.

* New sensor to deal with wide angle vignetting.
    * A6000 AF
    * Better high ISO performance
    * Weather sealing would be nice
    * Maintain tri-nav controls

Video improvement is not crucial for me.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    full tethering finally. Studio work for me!
    Great
    Alex

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I saw this rumour and thought of you poki ;) I think sony has a gap in e mount and a high end apsc model around a thousand dollarswould fit well

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I'm not sure what more you could ask for than the A6000 offers.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Magnesium body, weather-sealing, better low light (high ISO) performance and better Dynamic Range just a few - I'm sure there's more :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    dont mention this kind of thing unless you have the phrase "5 axis IBIS" [or atleast 3]

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, that's great too - as long as Capture One supports it. I just hope it will have some kind of super fast connection like Thunderbolt. USB tethering is nice, but the faster the better. ;)

I'm crying out loud for a year now, and finally, somebody heard me! :D Price it around €1.200 and give me the best possible image and build quality you can manage for that price, and you've got a buyer, Sony!

The A6000 is a kinda cheaply built camera. It lacks the Tri-Navi, it lacks the AF/MF switch (or was it the AEL button?). Its grip is not as good as the NEX-7's. And last but not least, it's not as sexy. So while the A6000 certainly is a nice camera in its price range, it's arguably worse than the NEX-7 in many ways, therefor it's not an upgrade.

Tripod = better than IBIS. ;) Seriously, IBIS would be nice, especially since none of my lenses are stabilized, but it's not a must have feature for me.

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I have to say that the rumors (coming via SonyAlphaRumors.com, as usual) building up to an a7000 or other-named NEX-7 successor actually has me - a lowly a3000 owner - very intrigued.

In the past month I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the amazingly discounted a6000 deals for the Holidays, and/or mentioning it at every opportunity to "she who must be obeyed." ;) But ever since the A7 Mk.II came out so unexpectedly, and with 5-axis IBIS, I have changed my tune. I've decided to stick with the a3000 for now and continue to learn it well while anticipating any new high-end APS-C E-mount body in 2015 as my eventual upgrade path. Ironically, I think it will be easier to get her to approve a high-end purchase than a mid-range one. She's a "go big or go home" sort of person - she's been lobbying me to "just get a real camera", i.e. a bulky DSLR, for months now.

For me personally, a body with the build and controls of the A7MkII, plus a version of its 5-axis IBIS (for all those legacy lenses), and a sensor along the lines of the a6000's 24Mp fast hybrid AF sensor, perhaps with no AA filter (or an optional/adjustable one?), and all the things Nick mentions (better high-ISO, Dynamic Range, weather sealing, etc.) would be very attractive in a US$900 - $1200 body. I somehow can't imagine Sony going much above US$1200 though, as that gets awfully close to their FE lineup which is clearly the focus of the past year (though, predicting Sony's moves is a fool's game).

Fingers crossed that we get something that has at least 75% of the things mentioned within the next 6 months. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The IBIS in the smaller body would be neat.

11. jypfoto

jypfoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    I just bought the a6000 body only along with the 55-210, 35 and 50 prime while also getting a used copy of the 16-70 and the 24. My rationale is that the a6000 was cheap enough that if/when the a7000 is released, I could possibly sell the a6000 for $200-250 at the worst and be out $200 or so. If I buy a camera in the $1,500 range, the depreciated value will have me losing an overall higher amount of money.

I'll believe it when I see it though, that's the approach that I'm taking. Original rumors of a NEX-7 replacement started more than 18 months ago, when a NEX-7N was rumored to be close, one with a 4 million dot EVF.

Here are some features that i would like in an a7000 in order of preference
    - same build as the 7, including tri-navi
    - ibis
    - same or better AF than the a6000
    - improved sensor
    - touch screen
    - better high ISO performance

I'll be using my a6000 for the next few months and hopefully in the summer I'll be able to either upgrade to the a7000 if it's worthwhile or add the a7ii to compliment my a6000. Exciting times for photographers

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Ok, I'm prepared to get flamed, but I have to ask... What's so great about Tri-Navi?
    Wait, hold on, let me rephrase that: For those who've used both an NEX-7 and one of the A7-series, how does the NEX-7's Tri-Navi setup differ from what is offered on the A7 units?

I've never handled an NEX-7 and it seems that the A7 models offer as many or more dials and controls than the NEX-7 did (the A7 units have both an EV and a Mode dial that the NEX-7 did not, for example). Was there something special about the way the NEX-7 used its dials that made it somehow better than the A7 units are now? Just curious, not trying to knock either camera, but I've seen so many folks speak about the "Tri-Navi" in reverent tones, almost as if it was the Holy Grail of control setups, so I felt I had to spend my few remaining newbie points and ask. ;)

13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Nice to see some signs of life in Sony's APS-C program again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I hope that rumors are correct.

IBIS, better high iso performance, great body, wired remote, better AF are in my wish list.

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This assumes that the sensor actually is what makes cameras expensive, but it's not. While a 35mm sensor certainly is more expensive to produce than a 24mm one, it's not even close to the price differences companies charge. A super high-end APS-C body could easily cost more than the A7II, which is an entry level body (by 35mm standards). It might be hard to sell such a camera, though.

The Tri-Navi simply is so convenient, once you're used to it. You can basically go from an outdoor shooting setting to studio settings with just a single swipe across both dials, which stops down aperture and shutter speed with a single action. Also, you don't need anything but your thumb to control anything. Your fingers can steadily hold the grip, with the thumb resting between - or just below - the two dials, making it an instant action to switch settings.

Arguably, the A7's control scheme, or even the Fuji control scheme, are just as good. However, the Tri-Navi saves space (the four dials on the A7 would probably not fit comfortable in a NEX-7 sized body), looks better and makes more sense from a UI design perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I doubt I'll be buying any more Sony bodies. I'm pretty happy with my Olympus OM-D E-M5. Small, lightweight, magnesium alloy body, 5-axis IBIS, weather sealed, great selection of lenses. The MFT sensor doesn't seem to be a hindrance to IQ. Both the E-M5 and my NEX-6 are like new, so I'm set for a long while, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Tony

17. jypfoto

jypfoto New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    The reason that I like the Tri-Navi control is like Poki said, being able to control aperture and shutter using just your thumb is super convenient. Some traditionalists like using their thumb to control the rear dial and their index finger to control a front dial but I prefer keeping my index finger shutter ready and being able to control the essentials using my thumb. Also since I mostly shoot in A or M not having a mode dial isn't the end of the world to me. I don't use exposure comp that much either, so while having it is nice, myself personally I would rather have the tri-navi. Also it makes shooting with adapted glass a lot easier.

Honestly if they put the a6000 guts in the NEX-7 body and added IBIS I know I would pay $1,200 or so for it. Weather sealing, 4k, touch screen would put it over the top, but for me not needed.

• Like Like x 1