Finally, a NEX-7r is on it's way!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You probably read the latest article on SAR, and I saw the images which are now gone - they were pretty bad. But still, this is the first solid leak and if prototypes are already in the hands of photographers, the camera should be announced before the end of october (as cameras usually don't get announced in november or december). So again, what is your wish list?

I personally hope for:

- price below €1200 (€999 would be awesome!)
    - sensor with 30+ MP (will probably have 24 though)
    - good quality vertical battery grip
    - better EVF
    - sensor with 1/3+ stop better DR and ISO

Everything else is just fine at the current NEX-7. Can't wait to have this camera in front of me ready to use with my 12, 24 and 50mm Zeiss lenses. :D

• Like Like x 7
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Finally. I've been waiting for this so I can pick up a cheap clearance NEX 7. I guess the A3000 is off the table.

• Like Like x 2
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've read that too. Now let's see NEX-7 prices plummeting so I can get one on the cheap!

• Like Like x 2
  4. neffsrus

neffsrus New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2013
    Surprised they have not dropped already since I bought one a week ago.

You can thank me later

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Will be interesting how far the prices fall. The current price of €850 seems fair, and depending on how much Sony improves in the 7r, I might as well consider a old 7 for €700 or so. But until we know the price of the new body it will be hard to say anything. How much might the 7r cost? Considering the price of the NEX-6 when it launched, €999 seems realistic, but then again, high end bodies never come cheap.

6. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Unless the 7r has amazing video capabilities and stills improvements I think I'll wait until news on the full frame nex comes along.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TalkNEX mobile app

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    They go *new* for 629€ in Sweden and here in France I bought several units around 550€ each. Yes, tough hunting, but similar deals can be had if you look.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    It depends what you consider cheap. A big box store here in the US recently cleared out the Canon 5D MK II for $999. The NEX 7 kit has sold for "like new" used on Amazon for $720(532 euro), if it hits that on clearance I would say that's cheap. Sony does drastically reduce the price of old models and dramatically. Look at what happened to the 5R recently. They basically slashed the price in half overnight.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^I surely hope so - that way prices for used 6s will get cheaper too and I will be able to finally buy one :D

10. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Somehow, my GAS has not kicked in on this one. I'm still very happy with my NEX-7. Amazed by it at times.

But I might well weaken when I see one in the flesh...

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yah, I wouldn't consider a 7r if I had a 7 too. But as it stands, the original NEX-5 simply misses too many usability, speed and comfort features to resist an upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Lets see what they come up with. One thing I really don't care about is WiFi. Easily set and accessed custom modes would be something I'd like, though.

13. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    One more thing. If they get rid of the tri-navi interface it's a no-buy from me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TalkNEX mobile app

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's a no-buy for anyone then. But why would they get rid of the USP of their product? Wouldn't make sense from either perspective.

15. Andrew Gerard

Andrew Gerard New to TalkEmount

Jun 18, 2013
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Andrew Gerard
    I would love to see a full frame NEX, but I absolutely am in love with my 7, and could not see myself giving it up... I also love my rx100 I would never get rid of either, but a full frame nex would find it's way into the family quite easily.

16. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Sony needs to fix a few things before I would consider one. Get the drive burst out of the same menu as the remote, you can't fire a burst of shots with a remote. How that got past Sony, heaven knows. Clever WIFI for remote shooting as well and I mean clever control over the camera and settings. Sony should ask Panasonic how to do it properly. Hopefully 1/8000 will be there and I would be happy.

All the best and time will tell.

Danny.

17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    To be fair, shooting in burst mode with a remote is not something many need. And I guess they won't change the menu, but will instead integrate the functionality into the Playmemories camera remote app -- the latter app also got far improved with the latest update, so it's now up on par with the competition.

As for the shutter - except that a 1/8000s shutter speed is nothing many need regularly, the only way Sony could do it in such a body without raising the price is using their electronic first curtain shutter, but then again, reading out a sensor that fast? I don't know if that's possible without making the camera more expensive (better CPU, higher powered sensor, ...).

Sure there are things that need to be fixed, but imho, most are just tiny getting-used-to things, nothing substantial.

18. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I certainly very often bump into the 1/4000th speed limit with my 7, using a lot of fast primes wide open...

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, forgot about the bokeh junkies. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm sorry I forgot that there are many out who need a faster shutter because I, as mainly a landscape photographer, always have time to put on a ND filter if necessary. Still it's not the easiest thing to do technically for Sony, so we'll see.

20. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    I only use first curtain in the NEX-7, set that from day one. Panasonic and Oly in m4/3 are using 1/8000, so is Canon and Nikon as well as the SLT's, NEX would have a problem with it ?? Surely not on a new camera at the top of the NEX line. I hope not ;)

Remember that HDR has issues in that menu as well with the self timer, a few complaints on DPR about that as well. They need to change out that menu system.

And I did say "Before I would consider one" ;)

All the best and time will tell for sure.

Danny.