• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Finally, a few hours with NEX7 & Tamron in Escalante Canyon, Coloroado

lapdog99

TalkEmount Veteran
Finally got out with my NEX7 with Tamron 18-200 for a few hours in Escalante Canyon. All shots handheld, and the wild turkeys were shot at 200. I was a little surprised at just how
small the Tamron lens is (no larger than the ProOptic 8 mm. fisheye * adapter). Like others, I managed to hit the video record button accidentally several times. Photos using IA were
pretty over-saturated. I need to spend a lot more time with the camera and the manual, and really look forward to getting some 2.8 or faster lens as they become available. The NEX7 was attached to a gorilla pod with rare earth magnet head.

Wild Turkeys.jpg
   ---            
Losing Structure in Escalante.jpg
   ---            
Tree by the green gate.jpg
   ---            
Nex7 w-mag head & gpod.jpg
   ---            

lowincash

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kin
Nice, I love the Tamron 18-200 too. I too was surprised how small it was when I got it. I'm using it with the nex-7 and it's a joy to use. The size and weight is so much better than my D7000 with Tamron 70-300mm set up haha

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for the pics, lapdog99!

Yeah, I'd say the NEX-7 isn't meant to be shoot in iAuto mode. ;) As far as I can see, there's much more possible with this combination - but the light also seems a bit harsh ... We have here 3 meter snow and not even a little bit sun. :D

May I ask why you two have preferred the Tamron-lens over the Sony one? I'm just curious 'cos they're basically the same specs.

lapdog99

TalkEmount Veteran
Why Tamron

Thanks for the pics, lapdog99!

Yeah, I'd say the NEX-7 isn't meant to be shoot in iAuto mode. ;) As far as I can see, there's much more possible with this combination - but the light also seems a bit harsh ... We have here 3 meter snow and not even a little bit sun. :D

May I ask why you two have preferred the Tamron-lens over the Sony one? I'm just curious 'cos they're basically the same specs.

The small size, black aesthetics and slight price advantage were pluses and I thought it would be as good as the Sony. Based on some comments from people that tested both, I would guess that they are both close enough for an NEX compatible, all-in-one lens with Wide to 200 zoom and typical not real fast glass.

My guess is I would use a wide tele, 2.8 or faster, e-compatible most of the time when, and if available

Latest threads

Top Bottom