Finally, a few hours with NEX7 & Tamron in Escalante Canyon, Coloroado

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lapdog99, Jan 6, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Finally got out with my NEX7 with Tamron 18-200 for a few hours in Escalante Canyon. All shots handheld, and the wild turkeys were shot at 200. I was a little surprised at just how
    small the Tamron lens is (no larger than the ProOptic 8 mm. fisheye * adapter). Like others, I managed to hit the video record button accidentally several times. Photos using IA were
    pretty over-saturated. I need to spend a lot more time with the camera and the manual, and really look forward to getting some 2.8 or faster lens as they become available. The NEX7 was attached to a gorilla pod with rare earth magnet head.

Wild Turkeys.jpgLosing Structure in Escalante.jpgTree by the green gate.jpgNex7 w-mag head & gpod.jpg
  2. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nice, I love the Tamron 18-200 too. I too was surprised how small it was when I got it. I'm using it with the nex-7 and it's a joy to use. The size and weight is so much better than my D7000 with Tamron 70-300mm set up haha
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for the pics, lapdog99!

Yeah, I'd say the NEX-7 isn't meant to be shoot in iAuto mode. ;) As far as I can see, there's much more possible with this combination - but the light also seems a bit harsh ... We have here 3 meter snow and not even a little bit sun. :D

May I ask why you two have preferred the Tamron-lens over the Sony one? I'm just curious 'cos they're basically the same specs.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    The photo of the camera attached to the gorillapod looks pretty cool :cool:
  5. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Why Tamron

The small size, black aesthetics and slight price advantage were pluses and I thought it would be as good as the Sony. Based on some comments from people that tested both, I would guess that they are both close enough for an NEX compatible, all-in-one lens with Wide to 200 zoom and typical not real fast glass.

My guess is I would use a wide tele, 2.8 or faster, e-compatible most of the time when, and if available