Filters -- what makes sense now??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jazzer, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    When I had a superzoom (which used a 46mm filter), I bought a protective filter and a circular polarizer. Later I upgraded to the NEX 6 with the kit lens and 55-210, recycled the polarizer with a step up ring for use on the kit lens and purchased a 3 stop ND filter and another protective filter for 49mm lenses (note that I don't usually use protective filters, but sometimes need them in more severe conditions). I later purchased the A6000 along with the 1670z and repeated the filter purchases yet again at 55mm (CP, protective filter, 3 stop ND and added a 9 stop ND).

I thought my filter-buying days were over, but alas, now I have purchased the 10-18 which has 62mm thread. In retrospect, I guess I should have just purchased a set at maybe 72mm or something, but it just seemed absurd to have such a large filter on small lenses, plus I wouldn't be able to use the lens caps that came with the lenses. I also had no idea that I would eventually buy lenses with larger thread sizes or what size they might be if I did.

Well, nothing much has changed. Someday I suppose I might go to full frame, but I have no current intention to do so. I have no way of knowing how big my biggest lens may be sometime down the road. Plus, I now have all of these other filters I have purchased.

Any suggestions as to what to do next? Do I buy another set of ND filters and a protective filter (and maybe a polarizer) at 62mm? Or do I cut it off now and buy some larger size, so I don't have to deal with this again? And, if so, what size??

The good news in all of this is that while I purchased good filters (Hoya and Marumi), they were not ridiculously expensive (and the purchases were spread out over time).

Thanks for listening to my rant :)

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sell the ones you no longer need / want

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Ah, Yes. Well I guess that is the most obvious thing to do. Unfortunately, I doubt that I would get much back on resale. But I suppose something is better than nothing.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's where the beauty of square slot-in filters (Lee 100mm for example) makes its appearance :) But I agree with the above comment: sell them and re-buy circular screw-ins in a bigger size (72mm sounds good)

• Agree Agree x 1