Filming a Kickstarter / Indiegogo Video using an NEX 5N

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Archer, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I just bought a Sony NEX 5N Camera - one of the main reason I got it was because I set up a group in London, England to try to get people together who want to do their own Kickstarter or Indiegogo Project and the one thing everyone needed help with was filming the video.

We tried for months to find film makers to join our group and help us out - or film students but didn't seem to have much luck.

So I decided to invest and buy the Sony NEX 5N both as an upgrade to my previous point and shoot camera but also as a tool that could be used to make a semi decent looking crowdfunding campaign video.

So right now all I have is an

NEX 5N Camera
    16mm F2.8 Sony Lens
    18mm to 55mm Sony Lens

What would people suggest is the best lens (out of the two above) and setting to use to to film your typical Kickstarter style video - the kind where you see someone talking to the camera, telling their story and why they need funding?

The overall feel I'm looking for is something similar to this video

Jacobsen Salt Co. by Benjamin Jacobsen — Kickstarter

With maybe interviewing someone with a similar look to what you see at 44 seconds with a nice shallow depth of field

I'm guessing already that my two lens above aren't going to get that shallow - but if people can suggest what to set the camera to to get as close as possible (using the equipment I already have) to this look it would be very helpful.

For now I'm just going to practise my film making skills before doing a Kickstarter for real and also look at the options for getting nice audio to sync with the video.
    BTW if there's anyone that's worked on a crowdfunding project before and has any advice I'd love to hear from you.
    As well as from anyone in London that's interested in getting involved in helping film such a video.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ