• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Film Photography (Nostalgia and Renaissance Photo Samples)

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
After reading RallyFan's post, I've come to realize that many of us here seem to have not only started photography back in the days of film, but also have had darkroom experience. I take it that some younger ones amongst us are also curious and are wanting to have a dabble into film. So how about we use this thread as a 'meeting place' to chat about and discuss anything that pertains to film photography and the ol' darkroom?

So dust off your scanners dig out some of those old prints and let's reminisce!

I'll start off with one of my favourite darkroom montages... hmmm this one is maybe 1988-ish so this was not only pre-computer but also pre-photoshop! I read an article in a photography magazine where a guy did darkroom montages by masking-out half of the enlarger projection to partially expose the paper, then repositioned the mask to burn the unexposed section of paper with a different negative. I was hooked! It took me ages and dozens of attempts before I got this one right, phew! These where the days when I'd be in my darkroom up to 3 in the morning just to perfect one print!

Montage01.jpg
   ---            

"Breakwater"
Konica FS-1, Hexanon 24mm, Ilford FP4 (ISO125), 8x10 Ilford Glossy Paper

I took a shot of my feet at low tide at an estuary and couldn't help but notice that the water looked like textured glass. So I went to a recycling yard and bought a small piece of textured amber window glass, covered it with an old towel and struck it with a hammer. The montage is pretty basic compared to what can be done digitally these days but this photo always makes me smile because of the memories... I can still feel the warm sand under my feet!

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
That is a great shot. Basic compared to what can be done digitally? That is hand made art, my friend. You and RT_Panther really want me to spend my money!

I'll have to take a trip up to my Mom's house to see if I still have some negatives kicking around in her attic. I know I lost a great deal of them in a flooded basement several years back. Heartbreaking.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks, guys!
Here's another one from the same set...

Montage02.jpg
   ---            

"Baby Grand"
Konica FS-1, Hexanon 24mm, Ilford FP4 (ISO125), 8x10 Ilford Glossy Paper

Latest threads

Top Bottom