1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Film Noir Studio Shot

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by DigitalD, May 7, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Had some time in the studio a few days ago to try and replicate a kind of Film Noir-like portrait. Let me know what you guys think.

Shot with the Sony A7ii and FD Canon 50mm f1.2 L

fonsecafoto-A7Studio-0499-med. fonsecafoto-A7Studio-0445-med.

• Like Like x 6
  2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I wish the light could be a little bit softer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I like it.
    The model, the look, the shadow play.
    Nice!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I really like the play with the shadow in No 1. Rephrase I really like No 1. The shadow is.... well it looks d... good, pardon my..
    Ive got 2 minor observations that does not just quite suit my taste. I hope you don'rt mind.
    The burned out face (chins?) vs lips/lipstick looks a bit odd to me. Maybe a tiny bit over the top?
    I'd like her fingers on her right hand more straighten so they don't cast shadow on her palm
    Best regards

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, these are very good IMHO ;)
    Like the composition, processing and general mood in these but I do agree that the light is a bit uneven (for example upper body part and face VS legs)

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Nice! I don't have the studio skills to do anything like this, but I'll comment anyway. #2 is my favorite in terms of composition and a more convincing pose. In #1 the extreme left shadow seems to draw my attention too far away from the subject. I'd love to see more tones in the face on both shots.

7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    What I like. I am quite a big fan of this movie color grading. Teal in the shadows and orangeish in the highlights. Next, the lighting is very hard here - I think it works really well. Of course you can say it is way too hard on the girl but if you soften the light on the girl you will destroy the hard shadow of the background. I would kind of like to replicate this with 2 exposures - one for the background and one for the girl.

I am not sure what you did here light wise although I imagine that it is with a beauty dish and grid at least 8 foot from the model. Studio lighting is bags of fun.

8. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks guys. Yes, the highlights are a little hot and I thought I would like that for this shot, but I think I am going to take another pass at the post processing.

Yes I thought about that and was thinking I may be able to do more finite PP in photoshop and push the raw image a bit more to get the exposure right but separate.

You know your lighting ;) I used a 12" reflector with a 1/8 metal grid insert (i think, could have been 1/4) It was about 6-8 feet from the model. I used a flag below the light to make sure here legs fell into dark shadow (intent). What I didn't plan for was the studio wall was rounded and I thought it was flat and I did not bring any large panels to make it flat. I wanted the light to fall away in a cone like you see in movies posters from back in the day. Instead, the light pooled in a circle even thought it was camera right and aimed directly at her face. Live and learn.. :p

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    briefly since I am collapsing
    #1 remember you also have to pose the eyes. Leave a bit of the white in both sides. If you do not, eyes start looking weird. Do you have the guides for this or you want me to send those to you.
    #1 what is your attention focus point? Brightest area is on the left which is where my eye is drawn too and then goes to the lady.
    I can hear you saying that look brighest part is in her body, which might be as well. But remember where you draw the eye first is a combination of size and brightness.
    For me alo the second shadow behind her steals attention out of your model. Idea is very good. Implementation is okayish too me. I just find the composition bit more complex of how I would typically set up such a shot.

btw did you open up shadows in pp? I get the feeling of suffering in your shadows,

#2 much better than the one. Although this light vignetting in the background that goes from blueish hue to black steals a bit of my attention.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree
    Alex

10. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Very professional looking!

11. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks!

12. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Without getting into a long argument about composition (I dont think what we are saying is that different)

1) I believe that our eyes are drawn to the place of highest contrast rather than the largest, brightest spot. I often think of this photo partly because it shows some pre-photoshop, photoshopping.

Clipboard Image (33).

...but as that photo rather proves your poijnt as well as mine, I will add this photo I took a couple of weeks ago. I think the young girl is very easy to make out in this photo despite being small and dark. With most portraits the point of highest contrast tends to be the eyes.

17110400390_fdc504bd2c_c. Going Home by rob collins, on Flickr

2) I think that one of the reasons that your eyes are drawn to the spotlight and shadow in the first photo is that - all things being equal - we tend to read photos left to right, rather like the way we read print.

13. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Interesting images.
    Not what comes to mind when I see "Film Noir"

14. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Indeed true, contrast is one of the elements with size and brightness. We agree on this
    Have fun
    Alex