1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fill flash at short distances

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by alaios, Dec 27, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,

I was trying yesterday some portrait shots with my nex-f3 camera. Sometimes I wanted to play with high contrast background, like having my subject turned the back on the sun so I had to use a bit of flash to fill in the face.

I was wondering though if I should try to diffuse the internal flash I have at such short distances. I was sitting at around 1 meters from the face I wanted to capture.

Can I use the small embedded flash for such cases?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards

Alex

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't use flash, but your set up might be good place to use esp camera internal flash. Try and tell us if it works:)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Many of us use the ping pong ball, (or a few other varients), diffuser mod.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I had very bad luck with the ping pong ball... I am not though sure if it is just the jpeg preview, I see on my cameras screen after the shot taken, that is bad...

Regards
    Alex

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Have you tried adjusting the flash intensity?

• Like Like x 1
  6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    yes I tried working with the flash intensity.. and for some shots I got acceptable results... I am not sure though if that means that the ping pong ball worked nice for me.. I have the feeling that once I remove the ping pong ball and shoot again with reduce flash intensity this time I get very similar results...

It might be also that the preview of the nex is showing that bad and I might be able to have better results with raw processing.. not sure though...

I will retry today with building different architectures :p Got yesterday to hardware stores and bought quite of many nice things

Alex

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Update#1 bouncing card with aluminium foil at the upper part of the flash, with the flash tilted to the ceiling.. gives very nice results. I guess this is because it is not only the light from the ceiling that lights the whole are with very dark shadows but also that a proportional straight line that hits the faces that gave me nice lighting for portraits.I will try to share tomorrow results

Regards
    Alex

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you found something you can work with.