FF zoom starting c. 18mm?

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
You are only looking for alternatives in A-mount? Or zooms in general? Because the Sony 16-35s in e-mount are pretty well regarded, and I know the Canon 16-35L is commonly adapted.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Did you consider picking up a used Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 in Nikon mount? Apparently it works well with the Commlite. It's a shame the 18-35G doesn't work, because it's a very good lens. I tried it on the Z7 though and it worked great.

I was thinking about picking up the Tokina, but I opted for the Sony 16-35 f4 for video use.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, I don't need f2.8 and prefer small lenses as I shoot on foot, sometimes while hiking or skiing. Not that the Sony 16-35 is a featherweight but that's OK.
The Sony 16-35 f4 has a smaller footprint than either 16-35 f4 lenses for Nikon and Canon. Also the Nikon version has ugly mustache distortion at 16mm.

At first I didn't like the extending barrel of the Sony, but for the sake of size, I've come to appreciate it now. Also I tend to prefer the Nikon 20mm 1.8 G over the 18-35mm G lens. It's more compact, extremely sharp and useable in low light.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom