1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feeling better about Photo hobby

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by Jazzer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I saw this article in the WSJ this morning. If anyone had any concerns about the time/money spent on photography as a hobby/obsession, this makes it clear that there are people out there who spend a lot more money and/or time on less mainstream things. Of course they certainly have the money to spend.

I thought people here might find it interesting. (I hope the link works for non-subscribers).

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/these-ceos-have-some-unexpected-hobbies-stickers-anyone-1402626600-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMzExNDMyWj

• Like Like x 3
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks Jazzer. I feel a little better. But I still spend too much money on this stuff. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I tell my wife - it's better and less expensive than a girlfriend or a sports car.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I don't feel too badly, either. I may drool over an A7S or Pentax 645, but is highly unlikely I'll ever own either - or anything like them. My most expensive camera to date was a tad under $600, and it still provides excellent images. I don't think I own a single lens that would cost over $150, and I got most for far less than that. I'm quite happy with the IQ I'm getting.

Tony

5. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    ...or a boat, or a huge truck, or a membership to the country club. The list goes on.

How much do you guys think you spend on an annual basis?

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It all depends on priorities

• Like Like x 1
  7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm actually quite happy for what I have now...for someone who is currently trying to keep finances in check and in between jobs due to an accident at work. :positive:
    Granted that I'm no CEO of any company.

8. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Annually, on average probably only £200-300, and I make twice that in hobbiest sold services (doing friends wedding on a shoe string, family portraits etc). BUT - I do occasionally splash out, every couple of years I guess, on a new camera/good lens. So it might be easier to say, in the last 5 years I've spent just over £2500, which averages to £500 p.a.

As I say, in the last year and already lined up for some of next year I have made about that, so I am covering my costs which is all I really care about.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Last year, I spent about €2.200. The year before that (2012), I spent around €2.800. This year, it's €1.400 so far. So I guess I spend far too much on photography. Heck, there's nothing else on which I spend even remotely as much as on photography.

But, according to Steve Jobs and his "the dots will only connect looking backwards" theory, I guess that's okay. Or at least I hope so.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I probably spend on average about $1-1.5K on photo related stuff. I am usually able to recover 50-75% of my costs when I sell stuff I don't use anymore, which mitigates that somewhat. I've never sold any photos, and don't have an inkling how I'd even begin to try, although I've always been curious.

11. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have a photo box pro gallery (http://www.photoboxgallery.com/jdbimages), but mostly I sell my services not prints. I just posted on FB if anyone wants anything let me know, done a wedding and got another lined up, done 4 or 5 family shoots and a couple of car shoots.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    This is a horrible question! [emoji12]

This past year has been an ugly one for me... about $4500 as I shifted from an older Sony DSLR to NEX. I hope that I can keep myself in check and not buy any more...

• Like Like x 1
  13. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Crap... just remembered another $400... close to $5000 and not full frame!

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    We can't thank Steve Jobs enough for this universal excuse on throwing money at seemingly useless hobbies. :biggrin: BTW, for the last thirty-odd years I haven't earned too much money with my photography: zero, zilch, nada, niks.

I was hoping to recover some of the money spent by selling my APS-C stuff but that has been stalled now: my son was bitten by the photography bug and I've lent him my NEX-6 and the five native lenses. Given that he hasn't got a lot of money to spend, it'll take some time before I see the gear back. I've had worse reasons for not selling stuff :).

• Like Like x 3