Feedback wanted: Utility of right column "Recent Discussions"

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I've been tweaking the tabs, Navbar links, etc, mostly with a goal towards eventually producing a mobile-friendly version of the site. If you visit or from your phone/iPod/tablet, you'll see examples of what I'd like to do with this site.

If I can make the sites user friendly on mobile from a phone, I can stop paying the high monthly cost of our forum app. Those who like using an app would still have the option to use Tapatalk, which is now free and provides the same functionality. More importantly, those who don't want to bother with an app would have a mobile-friendly site to use.

The major obstacle to making the site mobile-friendly is that I use a product called vBadvanced CMPS to put a "Recent Discussions" column on the side of each thread. I personally use that column to find the most recent posts while viewing any given thread, and I'm sure a lot of members use it that way too. However, I'm thinking we could all get used to going without that and instead using the "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" links under the Navbar (replacing the Active tab), which is the way almost every other forum works.

Regardless of whether we keep Recent Discussion in a column of the thread view, it will remain a column on the site Front Page.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I use the Recent Discussions to quickly see what I haven't yet read. But I can easily adjust to using the other options if it's going to save the cost of maintaining the app. Though I don't have any trouble navigating this (non-mobile) site on my phone and tablet right now, so...
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    After I change my browser bookmarks, to go to 'new posts,' I'll be able to get along just fine.
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I have always used new posts - Losing the recent discussions section would not bother me in the least.
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Recent discussions is invaluable to me as I just want to have a quick glance for new posts - it would annoy the bejesus out of me to have to click a button for new posts. Often as I browse threads new posts arrive, I wouldn't know this otherwise.

Also - what is the problem with having a separate mobile 'skin' which loses the recent discussions tab on the side, but the main skin keeps it? This is what all the other sites (forum or otherwise) do for a mobile site.
    EVERY forum I go to on my mobile from a Google link comes up with a banner saying 'Do you want to download/view in tapatalk?' and if you say no, you get thrown to their normal website. This site already does this, but the banner is for the forum app, just update this to tapatalk...

Finally, I've never really understood the point of the forum app, tapatalk exists and is free... And people that frequent multiple forums can do it all one place without clogging their phone up with 100's of apps.

My suggestion is drop the forum app and leave everything else as it is! Or if you REALLY want to, make a new skin for mobile but leave this one as is.
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    That is a very good point, IMO.
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I use the "Recent Discussions" exclusively and personally my opinion is that its a nice feature to have (direct access to new or bumped threads without having to have an extra click - just like quick buttons on the Nex rather than menu diving, lol :p ). But if its to save costs then I'm with you - I'm sure I'll get used to it ;)
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  9. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Same here.
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I try to avoid at nearly any cost viewing the web on my phone. I only do it in emergencies because no matter what the site looks like it's still painful. It's like trying to read War and Peace on a postage stamp. :p

That said, either way works for me.
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
  13. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Never paid any attention to it or used it.
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the input.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.