1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feedback on Leitz Leica lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by snpr9696, Jan 17, 2016.

1. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Does anyone have any particular feedback on this lens for a Sony A7ii. I see them priced from 400-700$ range. I would love to get into a Summicron but I've read mixed reviews and to be honest there seems to be so many versions I'm not sure I'm getting accurate info.

Any sample pics?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453062218.157633. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453062227.359364.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    Hi Joe,

That is a very nice lens. I bought one a couple of months ago and so far can only say good of it. It is a Leica-R so the adapter for Sony is the longer one (I have mine converted to Nikon, which I did via Leitax), but is a small lens and fits nice. I used it on D700, but now I use it on the A7Rii. Very sharp, I will post some pictures latter. No significant vigneting or corner quality loss. Good colour balance.

Your specimen seems to be in very good condition, although with an early serial number (check R Lenses x Focal Length - Leica Wiki (English) for characteristics and production year). In Flickr you can find several authors with that combination I guess.

Catch you soon with some pictures.
    Jose
    www.acyclopseye.com
    José Paula

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If you want construction and handling about as good as is humanly possible, Leica R mount is that IME. (Even better than the Nikon manual stuff, and that's saying a lot.)
    Minolta MD mount is cheesier in construction but you can get a whole system for the price of just one Leitz prime. Optical differences are often subtle IME. (Some of my Minolta 50mm's actually exceed my older Summicron-R for sharpness and BOKEH smoothness at f/2. But it's not a night and day difference and the 'cron is a pretty solid all-rounder with its own distinct personality.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    Some more on the Summicron-R 50mm on the Sony A7RII (I suppose it will work similarly on the A7II).
    I have gone through some testing in real life situation. All the photographs here have no treatment (No sharpness, No distortion correction, etc. - straight from the uncompressed Raw files).

Here is the setup:

A7R2_50SummicronR.

A first example with open sky. Shot in the sweet spot of the lens (F5.6). You can see a slight vigneting but otherwise seems perfect with detail near the edges. Below full picture, two details. You can see the fine hairs and cloth very fine hairs.
    A7R2_50SummicronR_Ex1_all.

I will post more on consecutive posts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    A second type of photo. This one was used by Tom Niemann to calibrate the PT Lens plugin for Lightroom and Photoshop. You will find now the automatic correction for distortion. Again F5.6, seems good. Below main photo a center and corner 100% crop.

A7R2_50SummicronR_Ex2_All.

A third example below, same settings.

A7R2_50SummicronR_Ex3_All.

In next post I will put THE BAD NEWS!

• Like Like x 2
  6. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    The bad news is that if you open from the sweet spot you will start having chromatic aberrations, astigmatism and pixel degradation. This will be evident in EXTREME CONTRAST situations, such as the example below. Shot at F2. Below main photo find the detail near the center (chromatic aberrations evident), and at the edge (astigmatism, pixel degradation).

A7R2_50SummicronR_F2.

At F5.6 it becomes perfect. I will not put all the apertures (boring) but the same at F5.6:

A7R2_50SummicronR_F56.

Conclusions next post.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    So regarding the use of Leica/Leitz Summicron-R 50mm on the Sony A7R II (and probably on the A7 II):

1) For good results aperture should be from 4, ideally 5.6. Avoid 2 and 2.8. In any case please note that in normal situations you will not notice any issues, especially if not to enlarge significantly.
    2) It all depends on the type of usage. If to buy new, I would buy a dedicated 55mm, or a Leica 50 Summicron-M asph (if I was rich).
    3) If you have it, use it, it is fantastic. But try to photograph at 5.6. I use mine!

Remember always that:
    ''The best and most convincing proof of performance is, of course, a picture'' (Erwin Puts)

Jose

www.acyclopseye.com
    flickr: José Paula

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    For the things I'd use the f/2 setting for, I find my older version is perfectly usable.
    al-1.
    Here's what it looks like (as opposed to the version you're hunting for)
    It is a tiny bit softer in the center and mid-regions than some of my other favorites at f/2, but not enough so to be noticeable under normal viewing. (Or at ISO8000, as pictured above.)
    If you want really sharp wide open performance in the outer extremities for $600, your best bet would probably be a used Sony/Zeiss FE55. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. jpaula

jpaula New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2016
    Jose
    Nice.
    Of course that in B&W there are no problems of CA, but also if you do not have edges in focus things get easier.
    But yes Jeff, in the 50mm league there are numerous acceptable lenses, but in the end the dedicated ones will make the difference (ex. FE55), especially if one does not wish to spend hours in post-processing. Lens performance is much into firmware now. I am not sure if Joe has made up his mind regarding the lens by now...

• Like Like x 1
  10. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Wow. This is a ton of great feedback. Thank you. I'm still contemplating the lens however I just picked up an A6000 to use as a small travel camera when I head to Disney. Now I'm looking for a small lens for that one too. Lol. It never ends. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Someone mentioned the Zeiss 55mm. Yeah got that's one. I have a ton of glass.
    70-200
    24-70
    28s
    35s
    50s
    55s
    135mm
    85mm
    Legacy lenses
    100mm macro
    Etc

Just really like the quality of Leica