1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured: 'Trees in the mist....HDR for all to see' by Schusskabob

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Schusskabob, May 19, 2014.

1. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    At the request of another forum member (thank you Eric and thanks for your comments), I'm posting this photo for all to see. The story behind it is that a few weeks ago I had gotten up early to visit Sawhill Ponds here in Boulder. It's something of a wildlife refuge with a bunch of ponds and trails reclaimed from an old gravel mine. We'd had rain the night before and I thought the sunrise might be interesting with everything still being wet. However, there were low clouds still in the east and after traipsing around for about an hour and still not seeing the sun, I gave up and headed back to the car. Just as I got to the parking lot, the sun finally rose above the clouds and things suddenly came to life. I only had a few seconds, as the light was rapidly changing and more cars were about to pull into the lot. The camera was still mounted onto a tripod, so I very quickly got off a few shots...right there in the parking lot. So the foreground is actually mud puddles in a parking lot! Shooting directly into the sun, I bracketed three exposures (+2 and -2). Now I only kept two of the exposures (and I'm not even sure which two they were) and created a HDR photo using Nik software which, in turn, I processed again in Nik Silver Efex to get black and white. The color version is also on my Flickr site, but I much prefer the black and white version. Most of the other processing consisted of some very selective burning and dodging in Lightroom using the brush tool. I'm still learing how to do all of this post processing stuff, but I can say that using Nik and Lightroom enables me to do things I never thought possible before. And, if you want to learn how to use these programs, there are a ton of FREE tutorials online.
    Thanks for looking and glad to be a member here!
    Bob
    14012434784_06a03db01d_c. DSC04891_HDR-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 28
  2. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Bob,

That image is simply stunning...

Thank you for sharing it here..!

- John

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Quite lovely

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That is a great one, Bob. But after looking at the color version on your Flickr page, I'm not sure that I agree that this one is clearly the better image. The color version rocks, IMO, and has a subtlety you don't often see in HDR photos. :thumbup:

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its a very nice photo but after reading David's comment I was curious to see the colored version and I have to agree - the colored version is an amazing photo IMO ;)

6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Way cool! What a fantastic image, something for me to aspire to capture. Thanks for posting this up. ;).

7. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Agreed . . . the color original is stunning.

Tony

8. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Agreed with all - The color HDR is subtly and tastefully done - Not over-processed at all like many HDR images.

10. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Thanks! Yeah, I don't care for the "HDR look". To me, it only works if you can't tell it was used.