1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Featured Posts"

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by kaptnkain, Feb 6, 2013.

1. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Hey Amin,

I'm not sure how attached you are to promoting certain posts on the front page, but I think it's a great idea. Good content on the front page brings more visitors to the site as well as giving the OP more publicity.

What is the system for choosing posts to be promoted?

If it would be possible to implement a thumbs up / thumbs down system akin to the "thanks" system, or even re-purpose the "thanks" system to have members vote for which posts should be promoted weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, I think it would be great.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think that's a great idea !! I myself use the Thanks button as a "like" button

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^x2

Sometimes I find it strange to use the "thanks" button since I may not wish to actually thank a reply (ie. thanking someone cause he answered a question I had) but rather like and/or agree with a reply

4. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I use it the same way. Funny how facebook has gotten into the minds of so many. :)

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It's something I've been doing on all the sites, and I end up just choosing the posts manually. I'd love to implement a system like the one you mentioned, but I don't know of a way to make it happen. There is a "like" button which tallies the most liked posts and threads to help me more easily identify those, but when I trialed it on another forum, people preferred the thanks button we have now. Not because of the word "thanks", which I could easily change to "like" (most people use them both to mean the same thing, but I think thanks is a bit more versatile - for example someone compliments your photo, it's easy to thank them for that but awkward to like them for that), but because of the system itself. You can see the other system in action at GetDPI.com.

6. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    I would suggest a system where a moderator takes the most commented/thanked posts and puts them in a poll for people to vote. But alas, I think this community is too small at the moment to make such a system work.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    We're getting to the point where that could work, but it would require a switch to the system that GetDPI uses, and it would also take moderator time/energy on a consistent basis. Moderators tend to get a little burned out by doing weekly polls, etc. Take a look at the GetDPI system and let me know what you think. One piece that I'm not sure if I like or not is that you get notified every time someone likes one of your posts, which can be a lot of notifications...