1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Thread: "NYC Cityscapes" by WestOkid

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Dec 3, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Things have been really busy at work. I normally work from home, but over the last month I have had to go into the office a lot. If I am not too beat, I can get some shots in before and after work. All theses shots are along the commute. I have been waiting for the opportunity to just go into the city and shoot a complete cityscape series, but it seems that's taking longer than I expected. I am just too busy at work and home. So here's my set so far:

15238275327_4f981c9c12_b. Concrete Mountains by iShootPics (westOkid) - Out Of Office, on Flickr

15592290369_5572e4c974_b. Light Pollution by iShootPics (westOkid) - Out Of Office, on Flickr

15675782947_06cb2e6c9b_b. Morning Glow by iShootPics (westOkid) - Out Of Office, on Flickr

15678257218_46c0be693e_b. A Seat With a View by iShootPics (westOkid) - Out Of Office, on Flickr

Thought I may add. Exposures for these shots vary from 8 seconds to about 4 minutes for those that care about those things. You can click on the shot for the exif info in Flickr.

• Like Like x 21
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nice shots.

Love the last one especially!

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nicely done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    First off, nice commute ;) I miss the city terribly.

Second, absolutely fantastic shots. The last one is breathtaking!

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks David. I don't know how great the commute is... Drive 1 hr in heavy traffic to Jersey city, park car and pay $15, walk to path train, 20 minutes on path train to WTC, 10 minute walk to bottom of Wall street. Not that nice.:frown:

However, that last pic got 99+ on 500px. that felt good :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What David said. :thiagree:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Great photos, especially the last one.

How did you process it ? The colors look very "clear".

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

• Like Like x 1
  9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Amamba and all for the feature. I really appreciate it.

I processed the shots with DXO. I got a trial version and i never looked back. The raw processor is absolutely the best in my opinion. It really brings out the best in the sensor. I highly recommend giving it a try. Your PP time will be cut in half to zero.

As far as clarity. I have found that it really boils down to correct exposure and the light nature provides. All these shots where taken in and around the golden hours before work and after work. That is no myth the light is fantastic at that time. My landscape shots have gotten so much better once I started acknowledging the light nature was providing and working with it. I always think about the quality and angle of light now. Many times, I don't even bother taking a shot because I know the light will be my undoing.

As for colors: The colors are again a by product of the time of day light and atmosphere. Even though I play with the saturation and vibrancy, that doesn't make up for the light you start with. These are all Golden hour/blue hour shots on partly cloudy days. In post I tend to warm up the white balance.

Another factor is the the length of the exposure. The last 2 are over three minutes as the sun is rising and the clouds are moving. This means the color temperature is changing across the length of the exposure. This plays tricks with the sensor.

Sorry for the long winded answer. I hope it makes sense. Bottom line is that IMO the light you start with is the key.

• Like Like x 7
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ain't that the truth, Gary? What you wrote reminds me of a Galen Rowell quote I came across in one of his books:

I almost never set out to photograph a landscape, nor do I think of my camera as a means of recording a mountain or an animal unless I absolutely need a 'record shot'. My first thought is always of light.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow! Thanks David. Certainly more eloquent and succinct, but essentially what I meant. I gotta remember this one.

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    These are superb, also agree that last shot is simply amazing

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    All great shots indeed!
    There's just something about NYC... so photogenic, and you captured it so artistically!

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Every one of these is a wall hanger, but that last one is stunning. Well done! :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    These really are stunning!!! Love the long exposure and processing effects. Great job!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Bob. Much appreciated. Love your work BTW. I wish I hope to shoot some of the places you have.