1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Thread: "McCauly Square with the Sony A7 and Canon FD glass (Picture heavy)" by Nyart

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DigitalD, Mar 13, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Some of you reading this post may have helped me in my decision to dive I to the Sony A7. If so thank you! I have been adapting lenses to my MFT system for a bit but with such affordable high quality native primes I really end up sticking with those when I shoot my em-1. However I really got a taste for adapting my legacy glass to a mirror less body but wanted a better format then a 2x crop sensor so in comes the A7. The camera is in my opinion 'conceptually the best format for adapting legacy 35mm lenses'. I say conceptually because it's not without it's limitations. I had tried in the past to adapt lenses to my (now sold) Canon EOS system and I'm not sure if it was my reluctance or the poor experience that only motivated me to do it a handful of times.

So decided to visit McCauly Square, a historic village in south Miami that is just about 10 minutes from my studio. It served as the perfect place for me to really try out the new camera as there is almost nobody there during the day ;) I could go nice and slow just like I would with my Canon AE-1 and a box of film.

The lenses I used where as follows: 35mm f/2 (my fav) 50mm f1.8 (I should have brought the rokkor but hadn't used this lens in awhile so wanted to see what it could do) and the 100 f2.8 (one of the sharpest lenses in my FD arsenal)

Any feedback is much appreciated. Photos were processed in LR with my own profiles. The 35 has the most CA removal but I don't care much because I love that lens. I'm pretty pleased so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  2. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Sorry having probs with the links. Still editing :(

3. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Ok got them to work and at a more manageable size. :eek:

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice set of photos!!! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It's all about the raccoon!

Great set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, the raccoon shot does it for me too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Looks like you're getting the hang of it!

That's interesting that you had the EOS system and didn't use the old lenses on it much. Canon EOS would have been my distant second choice for adapting my Nikkor and Leitz lenses onto full-frame. I'm kind of glad I held out for the A7, though! :D

9. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Haha, isnt it though!! He scared me at first. Heard some rustling above my head and did NOT expect to see a raccoon in the middle of the day. The sign on this store had a donation box to "Help feed the animals" so it must be theirs. Boy did I fumble a bit to get the 100mm out and he just stood there looking at me the whole time. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yes! Raccoon shot is special. I agree it must be domesticated by the shop owners because raccoon are nocturnal. Typically only rabid or starving raccoon are seen during the day.

11. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    The full res file on this photo is pretty incredible too. I can see almost every single hair on his head.

Thanks! Yes, I am wanting to use the camera more and more every day!

When I was adapting the lenses on EOS I was using the Canon 50D so I had a crop factor. When I moved to the 7D, I started shooting Film again simultaneously so I never tried adapting with that camera. The FF sensor makes such a big difference obviously as I feel it better captures the characteristics of the lens as it was intended. My only experiences with the 5D was when I rented it for some various paid sessions, so for those, I just used my AF L glass. But ho hum, all that's gone now ;)

12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yeah, the Raccoon is the real deal...the look on it's face is great too!
    Are the butterflies real in the 9th photo or are those some owner's artificial knick-knacks in that whole window setting?

13. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Nope, the butterflies are not real. The little historic village has lots of 'crafty' shops owned by local artists and such. Ill go back and grab them closer next time for you to see ;)

14. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Oh wow! Thanks for featuring this thread! I'm humbled and thrilled to be apart of a great community. :D

• Like Like x 1