1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Thread: "Macro with my new Sigma 60mm f/2.8 ART and 26mm extension tubes" by christia

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, Jul 28, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone!

I've been through several photo shoot sessions last week and really enjoyed my new Sigma 60mm f/2.8 ART with my 26mm extension tubes for my macro work. I know you all know pretty well this lens, so I'm not going to talk much about it. It has amazing sharpness. I think the only thing it lacks is image stabilization.

Here's the first part of my macro work. The second part will come later this week and will be about droplets on flower petals! So stay tuned guys!
    I have to say that there is almost no post processing, just a bit of saturation and I adjust a little bit the exposure. That's all
    Hope you'll enjoy them!
    You can also take a look at my website :D : http://idealuzphotography.wordpress.com/macro-photography/

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    All great, but really like the second one. The insect is like a loan ranger crossing a wilderness.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have a small request, could you photograph a small piece of millimeter paper with that combo? I have the lens and will probably order extension tube for it too so that I could have some kind of macro capability when traveling. I don't need flat field as I am interested in plants but some others may interested in coins etc..

4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thanks! It's Indiana Jones! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  5. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Here what this combo can do, 35mm. You can also add more tubes to get closer.
    If you use the 16-50mm kit lens with the extension tubes, it's closer to 20mm or even less.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very nice

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Another amazing set of photos christian!!! Excellent work indeed my friend :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thank you Nick!

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  10. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good stuff...the water drops that showed light sparkle, and those that also showed surrounding foliage caught my eye

11. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013

I thought the fourth one from the bottom was a flying saucer. Guess I'll need to get my eyes checked.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Another batch of awesome macros Christian!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I love the one with the red and black bug in it.
    Gorgeous shots all around! I aspire to take photos like you do some day

• Like Like x 1
  14. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Another wonderful set Christian!
    Thanks for sharing your world of macros.

How are you liking the Sigma 60mm?

• Like Like x 1
  15. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    That's a real compliment! Thank you!!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

16. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thanks William!
    The optical qualities of this lens are awesome! The sharpness is amazing, colors perfect etc. There are 2 things that I don't like much. First one, it doesn't have image stabilization. As I often shoot in low light, it can be annoying to miss shots because of this. The aperture of 2.8 is ok for me. Could have been a bit faster but at list with this lens you can always be wide open without worrying about the sharpness or chromatic aberrations, it's as perfect at 2.8 than at 5 for instance. And the depth of field that it delivers is perfect for my work with extension tubes. It's even sometimes too shallow (no more than a millimiter wide). I really like the bokeh as well.
    The second thing is that it's slow when you turn on the camera, even slower than the kit lens, and it's also quite slow to focus.
    To sum up, the lens is perfect on a tripod and manual focusing (BTW the focus ring is very smooth, I like it) because the image coming out of that lens are very sharp and well contrasted. For butterflies like I did the other day with Thomas Delahaye, it will be a bit hard without IS because we shoot really in low light condition and the AF is slow.
    I will do another session with Thomas in september, we'll see that. I think the pictures should be great though. The focal lenght is better than my kit lens for what I do (duh! LOL), optical qualities and bokeh WAY better obviously!
    I'll continue to share my pictures on the forum, so you will see the results.

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  17. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    All are very nice.
    My fav is the last. I like the bottom angle and the top lighting.

Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  18. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thank you!

19. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi guys,

For those who might be interested, I wrote an article about how to shoot droplets on flower petals: <a href="http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/13/how-to-shoot-artful-droplets-on-flower-petals/" rel="nofollow">ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/13/how-to-shoot-artful-droplet...</a>

And don't forget to take a little tour on our website! We had our first protog interview this monday!

Please tell me what you think of it? :)

20. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Working link http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/20/how-to-shoot-artful-droplets-on-flower-petals/