1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Thread: "Artistic butterflies" by christian

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, Jun 25, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone,

I took a lesson with a professional photographer on last monday morning. We woke up at 4am to be sure to arrive at the location before the sun goes up. We stayed there for almost 3 hours.
    The goal was to work on the composition and have something artistic. Some think they're dark (on the contrary some other pictures are with white background, depends on what we want), but it's intentionally aimed this way. It's not a naturalistic approach. We try to catch a certain atmosphere or create a special atmosphere. That's something I want to work on and improve.
    It goes without saying that I was still working with my one and only kit lens. It's not the proper tool for this kind of work but I did my best.

Funny thing to notice, my "teacher" Thomas Delahaye (https://www.flickr.com/photos/yellowshadow92/) works with a Canon 5D III but doesn't use the OVF. He shoots exclusively with the liveview for he's macro/proxi photo work. He uses a Canon 100mm macro lens and a 150mm for this kind of work. He also shoots birds, in this case he has just invested in a $10 000 500mm lens! Hope for him it'll be profitable.
    As a comparaison, I'll attach later 4 of his pictures he took the same day with me. They're pretty similar actually, makes me kinda proud!

One the mentors on this photography type is Cyril VERRON in France. Here is his website. I want to be able to reach this kind of quality one day! It's very artistic! http://www.light-and-exposure.com/#!gallery

Hope you'll enjoy!

_DSC4190_DxO. _DSC4217_DxO. _DSC4374_DxO. _DSC4168-001_DxO.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    here the second part

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  3. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    the last ones

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  4. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    If you want to compare, here are the 4 pictures Thomas took the same day with his 5D III.
    I think they're pretty similar to mine, well the dark ones of course!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  5. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I forgot to add these ones I also took:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You got some real beauties there, Christian. I especially liked the snails. If you narrowed down your selection a little, they might make a good featured post. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thanks David. Actually I already had trouble for the selection. I have more than 50 pictures. I originally took 267 pictures during this session. It's hard to narrow it down again. Never mind, it's just to share them with you.

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I know. :D Sometimes it's hard enough just taking the photos. But coming home and trying to choose the "best" ones isn't any easier.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    WOW, Really excellent work there Christian, by both of you!!!
    You did great and there's nothing to be jealous by the pro photographer IMHO ;)

And definately featured forum thread worthy ;)

10. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thank you very much Nick! Giving I only had my kit lens, I'm kinda proud LOL I'm now looking forward to improve this work, try that photography type with some good lenses.

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a lovely set

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Excellent work Christian. They are all good. I know you were looking forward to having these sessions with your teacher. I would imagine you feel it was what you expected based on the results. Again, great work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Outstanding images for sure...and I particularly like the photos of the pairs of butterflies facing each other...very unique captures.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Great series of photos! I particularly like the snails and the patterns in the blades of grasses. Very artistic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  16. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Christian...I find these shots amazing!
    I love the technique and composition.
    The use of light & shadow is so creative.

I know that you have been anticipating for your lesson with Thomas Delahaye and looks as if it was well worth the wait.

May I ask if the process of these were mainly from the actual camera or from post processing?
    If you don't mind answering...which kit lens did you use SEL18-55mm?

I want to thank you for sharing this marvelous work. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thank you Dragion. Unfortunately, I still have to undergo my kit lens, it's the 16-50mm. In the end it looks like it's a pretty capable lens. It lacks some sharpness and above all I found that there's a lot of CA when shooting this kind of work (against light mostly). I'm really looking forward getting some nice lens. I'd love to have a 100mm macro lens, but a native E-mount one. The butterflies move with the wind, the AF is necessary. Thomas works only with the AF. So for now, the closest sharp lens there is to a 100mm (FF) is the 60mm from Sigma (90mm FF equivalent). If I want to reduce the minimum focus lenght, I can use my extension tubes. The thing is, there's no stabilization on this lens, I'm afraid it can be a problem for this kind of session as we shot in low light. Fortunately the Sigma opens considerable more then my kit lens, so it's a thing for another.

Is there any solution with adapters to keep AF active?

Concerning the post-processing thing, the pictures are straight out of the camera. I don't have LR yet, I use Picasa to correct the exposition, high lights and shadows, sometimes crop them a little bit so that the composition is more pleasing to the eye and that's it. Nothing more. Post-processing takes me 30 sec or so for each pictures. I shot Jpeg+Raw but used only the Jpeg ones. I kept the RAW files for the day I get LR. LOL So the pictures shown here are Jpeg format only.
    That being said, I'm convinced the pictures would be way better with a nice post-processing work with LR.

18. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

I find that the SEL 16-50mm is actually a very nice lens...it is a lot better than what others has rated it as, just because it is considered a "kit" lens.
    I've had some pretty good results with it myself the other day.

https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=1974&page=3
    My photos are located at the bottom of the page.

I primarily shoot in JPG now with the A6000...the results coming out of the camera has impressed me.
    I just add a bit of sharpening in iPhoto and/or a bit of cropping.

I prefer out of camera than post processing...myself.

I hope that Sony decides on producing a SEL 90mm Macro lens...it would be perfect.
    I have the SEL 30mm Macro and it does a good job on "still" objects.

Again...thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I was impressed with these photos from the beginning and after reading the above statement that no PP was applied I'm even more impressed!!! Well done again

• Like Like x 1
  20. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thanks Nick.
    There was no morning dew this monday morning, next time I hope to have morning dew, it'll add another atmosphere to the pictures!