1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Featured Forum Post: Peaks and lakes... by Schusskabob

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Schusskabob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    This past week I was fortunate to get in two great hikes in RMNP. The first was climbing to the summit of Taylor Peak (elev 13,153. The second was a rugged off-trail hike to Shelf and Solitude Lakes. Photographically, these types of hikes are somewhat challenging for me. Sure, the views are spectacular but the direct, overhead sun and bright, contrasty lighting can be difficult to manage. I spend a lot of time in Lightroom and Nik making adjustments, filling in shadows and toning down overly bright areas. At Shelf and Solitude I even tried bracketing exposures and creating HDR images but, for the most part, I got better results just making adjustments to single images. Being there much earlier in the day, or later in the afternoon, might be an option and possibly have better lighting, but that means starting out in the dark, well before daybreak, or being well above timberline in the afternoon when thunderstorms are more likely....a risky choice. Nevertheless, I got a few images to share and with a bit of post processing, they came out pretty okay. Thanks for looking, Bob[​IMG][/url]DSC06453-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] The route I took to Taylor Peak involved passing Andrews Tarn and climbing the glacier to Andrews Pass.[​IMG][/url]DSC06429-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] The summit of Taylor Peak. [​IMG][/url]DSC06424-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Another from Taylor. [​IMG][/url]DSC06434-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Looking back up towards Taylor on my descent. [​IMG][/url]DSC06462-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Saw this little guy beside the trail on the way back. [​IMG][/url]DSC06546-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] The view as I arrived at Shelf Lake. [​IMG][/url]DSC06501-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Solitude Lake. [​IMG][/url]DSC06504_HDR_1-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Along the shore of Solitude. [​IMG][/url]DSC06534-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG] Passing Shelf Lake on the way back.

• Like Like x 17
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a lovely trip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Love your photos. Excellent results. I used to spend a lot of summers out there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some great scenes and shots.

I have no idea what I'm talking about asking this question, but I'll simply ask it.
    Would Neutral Density Filters be of any benefit in those super bright situations?

• Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Gorgeous! I think you managed to overcome the harsh lighting brilliantly. And yes, that doesn't look like the kind of place I'd want to be when thunderstorms start rolling in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Schusskabob

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Thanks for the compliment! Well, a graduated ND filter may be useful in some cases but I've found that it's easier and more effective to use shadow/highlight/contrast adjustments in LR and Nik. For one thing, you can be more specific in which areas you're targeting. Here's an example of what I had to start with. This image is straight out of the camera with only lens profile correction and slight cropping to match the one I used. A lot of the left side was too dark and parts of the right too bright. [​IMG][/url]DSC06501.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG]I actually made an HDR version of this with three bracketed exposures and it came out very well, except that the clouds were a bit splotchy, there was much more noise in the sky and there was some chromatic abberation noticeable where the sky meets the rock wall.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Link did not work Schusskabob

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Stunning stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Amazing scenery and great photos!!! All so nice I can't really pick a favourite :)
    Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    these are great!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Lovely photos, looks like a beautiful place and really wonderful natural looking post-processing.

But where? RMNP? is that Rocky Mountains National Park? Taylor Peak? Solitude lakes? I'm guessing the States but.....

Oh, I see you live in Colorado. Is it there?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Schusskabob

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Yup....right here in Colorado USA. About an hour from where I live.

13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    beautiful set and beautiful mountains :) thx