Fear the Cooper Hawk

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by starmite, Jan 5, 2018.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chipmunks, squirrels, and mice beware. Our back yard resident Cooper Hawk remaining vigilant against varmits. Shot with a Tamron 150-600 using an LA-EA3 adapter.

Cooper Hawk16.

• Like Like x 10
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A beautiful bird, and lovely composition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    This bad boy didn't move in, just a quick transient. Several years back on a lovely autumn evening I went out on the back patio with an after supper coffee and my A6000. I had an old Takumar Bayonet 135mm (the unrespected one that looks like an old style hand grenade) mounted and wasn't out for serious images, just having fun. I had a female Cardinal land in the Crab-Apple tree about 15 feet from me so I put down the coffee, grabbed the camera, and when I looked up the Cardinal was gone and this guy was standing in the same spot. I got a couple shots off before he took off.

2014-08-30 Cooper's Hawk-8x10.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    We had one of those who would camp out on top of our bird feeder and then wonder why the little birds stopped visiting. Great pic.

5. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New

Thank you.

6. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Nice photo! I wish my hawk had been closer, the sun not as bright, and fewer twigs on the branch to confuse the focus . . . but I'm hopeful he'll do another pose for me sometime.

7. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    Thanks.

It may sound simplistic but the best advice I have is to keep a camera handy as often as possible. Most of my best shots have been completely unplanned. As have almost all of the great shot that got away. :dash2:

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Agree...hopefully, starmite won't hesitate to start more of his threads

9. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    Yea we have one as well. Sadly it caught a Red Breasted Woodpecker.
    bruce

10. newst

newst TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    That's how it goes, sometimes. A couple months back I was hiking through a local wood and saw a young hawk screw up an attack on an adult squirrel, missed it by half a foot and flew five feet past. He stopped, stared at the squirrel a bit, then launched a second attack head on, with the squirrel fully aware. That didn't work out well for the hawk either but he broke off and flew away as quickly as he could.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.