1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FE standard zoom for A7S

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by p00kienrayray, May 21, 2015.

1. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray TalkEmount Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    Awaiting delivery on an A7S and looking for a native zoom to pair with it for AF. Would like the sharpest all around. Fast lenses are welcomed but not a requirement since I'll be cranking up the ISO. So trying to decide between the kit 28-70, 24-70, and 24-240.

I already have the kit lens for my A7 but it's nothing spectacular.
    I like the 24-70 for its constant aperture, but have heard that the wide end is too soft and the glass overall is just not worth the money.
    There aren't too much feedback on the 24-240.

Anyone have any preferences over the other?
    As of right now, my expectations for these zooms aren't too high. But I'm sure there are users who have good things to say about either one of these.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've never used the kit lens, only the 24-70 and 24-240. I would rate the 24-70 slightly sharper than the 24-240, and I would expect both of them to outperform the 28-70, but not by a lot. So the real question you need to ask yourself is what do you value most? Is it versatility? Then the 24-240 is the obvious choice. If it's a slightly sharper lens, then the 24-70 would be the best choice. There are sample threads for both lenses here.

3. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    Hmm not a lot better than the kit? I'm not thrashing the kit lens by any means, I was hoping a big jump. I know the 28 on the kit doesn't distort like the 24 on the 24-70 (which I think I would be using a lot).
    Versatility is important, but only need the 70 and below.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well then, your choice is easy! :D Get the 24-70! Since I've never compared it to the 28-70, I can't tell you how much better it is, but I don't think there's any doubt that you'll notice the difference.

5. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I am not sure the 24-70 is really worth the price of the upgrade (unless you really value the 24-28). It is the one FE lens I own that I am not totally happy with. The 24-240 certainly doesnt make sense unless you want to go well beyond 70. Personally, I would spend the money on a 55 1.8 if I was you.

Incidentally, I am not sure quite why I am not enamored with the 24-70. If I test the lens, it seems perfectly good enough but sometimes the results I get out of it arent great (and rather soft) especially for landscapes. I sort of wonder if this has something to do with its tendency to back focus when in wide focus mode. My standards for image quality arent particularly high while my pain threshold for accepting Sony lens prices is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. p00kienrayray

Jun 17, 2014
    The 55 is a great prime but ironically, I do not use the 50mm FL as much as a lot of others do. Besides, I have my trusty Canon FD 50 1.4.

The small 35mm 2.8 is more my style, and is a prime that I would want to mount on an A7S when doing nightlife stuff.
    In fact if I can convince myself to keep the kit lens, I may just pick the 35 up as well.