1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FE lenses on APS-C (E) cameras - anybody tried?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by zkozko, Jan 16, 2014.

1. zkozko

zkozko New to TalkEmount

Jan 15, 2014
    Waiting on new NEX 7 and thinking that it with some FE lenses can be quite light and with much better image QI. Something like NEW NEX 7 with CZ FE 24-70 will give nice and light 36-105. (Such combinations are quite regular with Canon people with APS-C cameras using full frame EF lenses).

Has anybody tried FE lenses on NEX cameras so far?
    Will this work fully and properly - or some software update will be needed for NEX?

Thanks in advance!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I doubt that FE lenses will give you better IQ than lenses that are designed for APS-C sensors. On top of that, they're heavier and in some cases more expensive. But yeah, they'd work flawless with APS-C NEX bodies, of course.

3. zkozko

zkozko New to TalkEmount

Jan 15, 2014
    What I’ve been thinking is that CZ FE 24-70, which is only some 310 grams with NEX 7 (or new one) will give very, very light walk around camera with quite interesting 36-105 lens. OK, it is only f4 but for travelling and general purpose usage …

And as probably much more FE lenses will come (hopefully) - there will be lot of possible interesting combinations.

Prices - well, another story.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've slapped the FE55/1.8 on my 5N. It is excellent, perfect as a portrait length on the 5N - in fact if you've been looking for the perfect 85mm portrait lens, this is the lens you've been waiting for. I'd bet it is superb on the NEX-7 too. I don't miss my SEL50/1.8 one bit (previously rated by DxOmark as the sharpest APS-C E-mount prime), despite now having one less OSS prime. But somehow 16MP is a slight disappointment as the 24MP FF framing/detail is just... I don't know, nicer? I can't exactly say why but I just love the A7's output better. The only slight disappointment is the flare control. But 9 times out of 10 I don't have shots that care about that so it is a minor niggle of a minor issue.

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure where you're getting your numbers from - the NEX7 weighs 350 grams (with battery), and the FE CZ 24-70/4.0 weighs 426 grams. While not particularly heavy, it's hardly 'very, very light'. It's impressively light for what it is (i.e. the Olympus E-M1/12-40 is 120 grams heavier; the A7r/24-70 weighs almost exactly the same as the oly combo).

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    And the 16-70 f/4 is not only lighter but also has a much more useful focal length.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have tried 35mm on nex 6, pdaf boxes weren't active so I don't know if the camera needs an update. I'll check 55. fe35 is same size as 35mm 1.8 oss, but slower and no oss. Similarly fe55 is a little longer then Zeiss 24 1.8/Sony 50 1.8 OSS. The new lenses are pricey, but not more then the Zeiss 24mm/Touits. They have high IQ wide open on FF, so it should be even better on apsc sensor esp 55mm w/ equiv 82.5 for portraits and OTUS like IQ. However Sony nex versions are better for low light or for video shooting w/ OSS and 35mm being 1.3 stops faster. It makes sense to but them if you are going to upgrade to FF in the future. They already are on the used market prices at amazon warehouse. Again Sony versions are much cheaper second hand also so you might not loose much if you go that side and sell it later...

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't forget that the NEX-7 has a higher resolution per inch than even the A7r, so don't expect any lens to perform better than on the full frame cameras, because they won't. To get the best compromise of size, weight, prize and quality, lenses that are designed for APS-C sensors are obviously the way to go when using an APS-C sensor camera.

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, nex 7 has 54MP equivalent in FF and Sony most probably has that in their hand since the rumors is already out. A7R sensor is not new. Nikon D800(E) has it for the last 2 years...

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Generally speaking, I have found that for wide-to-normal applications, dedicated APS-C lenses do make more sense than full-frame lenses.

Since I have already gone full-frame, I might consider the FE35 as a wide angle on the A7 and as a "normal" on the NEX-7. It is nice and small and reputedly crazy sharp. I'm not sure whether it would be any sharper than the Sigma 30mm (which can be had for around $100) or the Sony SEL35 ($450, faster and stabilized) or the Touit 32mm ($720 and fast).

• Like Like x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My legacy lenses perform differently (better) on the A7 than they did on my NEX-6, so I suspect that FE lenses may also behave differently on APS-C cameras than they do on FF cameras. Unless I were planning to move from APS-C to FF in the near future, I don't think I'd pay the extra premium for any FE lenses right now. As much as I am extremely delighted with the SEL35F28Z, getting the Sigma 30mm for an APS-C camera instead of the SEL35F28Z would be about as much of a no-brainer as there is IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I completely agree, although I'd get the Touit 1.8/32 instead of the Sigma (I'm kinda spoiled with Zeiss lenses by now, I guess ...). Anyway, there's a reason why there are lenses that are specifically designed for APS-C sized sensors, and it's obviously not just prize, as the Zeiss APS-C lenses are often more expensive than some of their ff brothers.

13. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the FE55 is also the sharpest lens available for the NEX-7 too. Someone at DPR was posting MTF charts with about 2.5-3.5k lpm at f1.8 on the NEX-7... comfortably beating the SEL50/1.8 (1.7-2.9k lpm) that DxOmark had previously rated the sharpest lens for APS-C E-mount

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want pure resolution, wait for the Touit 2.8/50m. Makro-Planars tradionally have been the sharpest lenses in the Zeiss line-up.

PS: The DxO sharpness rating says nothing about the quality of a lens. Even for resolution the measurement method is controversial.

15. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Have you shot with the FE lenses? They are phenomenal - much better than a MTF or Imatest rating could show.
    I could agree, but I was trying to point to an objective measure that shows just because a lens is designed for a specific sensor size doesn't mean it is weaker in another. FF lenses are always weaker in the corners, but none of these weaknesses would be apparent if you put them on a APS-C sensor, which means the main source of weaknesses is much less likely if you're going to use the lens on a crop sensor. And the one real difference is there may be more pixel sites on high resolution sensors like the NEX-7 - which is why demonstrating that a lens like the FE55 performs very well on these sensors too is useful (hence citing a lpm figure)

16. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Speaking of the devil, SAR just posted a cool pic of the 50/2.8 Makro-Planar:
    A73_touit_macro_zpsa1d2d00a.
    Looks the same size or bigger than the FE55

• Like Like x 1
  17. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    High quality macro lenses always are going to be big. ;)

And I never said FE lenses weren't good on APS-C cameras, I was just saying they're not necessarily the best compromise.

18. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Wow- that Touit macro is kinda big. The vintage Leitz 100mm isn't that much bigger:

11993066994_8c78f0162c_z.
    A7-leitz100 by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 50 Touit is actually about the same size as the 24mm Sonnar, not really big in real life. And for a 50mm 2.8 1:1 AF macro, the size is just as expected.