1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FE 55mm on the NEX-7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Bill, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The Sony/Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 works very nicely on the NEX-7. It moves from being a standard FE lens, to a short telephoto for the NEX sensor. It doesn't quite reach the traditional 85mm; but makes it to a respectable 82.5mm.

Bill_Danby20140920_Noosa_0053.

Bill_Danby20140920_Noosa_0043.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for sharing - I can't wait to get my hands on that lens and put it through its paces on crop and full-frame. (But wait I probably will - unless I get some surprisingly phat holiday sales and/or they offer a major discount.)

In the meantime, my old Canon FL 55/1.2 makes for a nice consolation prize on both formats. :cool:

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    One of the E-mount lenses I dream of!!! But unfortunately my pockets ain't deep enough so the SEL 50 1.8 or the Sigma 60 Art 2.8 would have to do :D

Nice shots btw ;)

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Well I know it DXO is not a bible for lens quality as it only test measurables and lens quality has subjective aspects. That said, it is relevant to note that the FE 55(25), SIGMA 60(23), and the SEL50(23) measurable performance is relatively the same on the NEX 7. I would suspect they are similar on other APS-C lenses. My point is that if you plan on staying APS-C, it may not be worth it to spend 3x to 5x more for the FE 55.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I agree.

I should have provided the full post from my blog. I went on to say:

"With the addition of the Loxia line, there's incredible choice for NEX (and A6000) users, not just A7/r/s owners. And for the NEX cameras the excellent Sony 50mm shouldn't be overlooked — which also brings stabilisation. And, the Sigma 60mm is a wickedly sharp alternative."​

• Like Like x 2