1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FE 28-70mm (A7 kit lens) DxOMarked

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by quezra, Apr 23, 2014.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Other then slowness of the lens, it is comparable... It is the Sony bargain of the year. I don't know how the contrast and color comparison is...

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It's strange because almost every review thought Sony dropped the ball on the Kit lens. Also B&h has so many in used department from people upgrading shortly after buying A7/A7r.
    I think sometimes perception trumps reality.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It probably is a perfectly decent alternative to the Zeiss unless, like me, you find yourself shooting in the 24-28mm range almost 80% of the time. Then it becomes a perfectly decent candidate for sale on eBay. Even had it been free with the body, I wasn't going to be interested.

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    It's an interesting psychological phenomenon that demand for an item can often increase with the price, rather than the other way round like you'd normally expect, for certain items. Certainly business schools have found the higher their fees the more people applied for them (regardless of any difference in quality of training!) because there was a perception that you'd get more if you were paying more, and people never went down to the nitty gritty to actually check the reality for themselves (the irony that these were people going to business school and this should be their first lesson they learned about marketing cannot be repeated enough!).

This seems to be the case for this lens too - if it was priced higher or had more ambitious specs, it might have had a very different initial reaction. But a few people with a lot of experience with kit lenses seemed to have stuck by it and I'm glad that influenced me enough to decide to get the bundle. I'm very pleased.

6. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    There are some differences that aren't really captured in the DXO scores. I find with DXO you really have to dig into their measurements to make real comparisons. Still it is interesting how universally disliked the kit zoom is. Or Sony zooms in general really.

7. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I really rate it, especially now that I have been using it for a while. At the price paid as a kit lens with the A7 it is a real bargain.

8. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Now owning an FE2870 I would agree with the DXO mark assessment. The FE2470 is prob better but not by much-especially once you stop down to f5.6. Plus I love that the 2870 is practically an internal zoom. Makes it more compact and a joy for video. Just wish it was 85mm at the long end.

Still prefer my Contax primes for pure IQ but the value, convenience is compelling.

9. binuocta

binuocta TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 9, 2014
    Jakarta
    Binu Octa
    I am thinking to get this lens, looks like worth the value

10. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    If you keep your expectations reasonable and buy it for less than the MSRP I think it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

11. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Got one waiting for me at home, £230 on eBay new split from an a7 kit. Unlike most folks I am testing it on the a7r so might have different views. I'll post some samples when I get back from my two week holiday in mid June. Initially impressions tonight if I get a chance.

Sent from my E2001 using TalkEmount mobile app

12. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Got my kit lens today for going on holiday next week. Have to say its excellent, sure its not fast but miles better than I was expecting, good and sharp and smooth in operation (cheap too!)

test shots below

LR processing was basically 25 Noise reduction and Sharpening and application of the lens profile.

14298874924_0aacc28e2b_k. Sony FE 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 tests by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

14296052701_fcca2f25af_k. Sony FE 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 tests by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

sorry for the rubbish test shots, Ill take loads of proper shots on my holidays, really impressed so far, for £230 it was bargain, nice and light too and not big at all considering 28-70 range.

Sent from my E2001 using TalkEmount mobile app

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. nippa

nippa TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    I've only recently got an A7 and bought it with the kit lens intending to upgrade.
    Now I'm pretty critical about my optics but either I've got a really good example or people's expectations exceed mine.
    The only weakness I've found is at 70 mm on the edge but stop down to F8 and all is fine.
    To my mind it is the equal of my LUMIX 14-45 ; a lens universally regarded as one of the best kit lenses ever.

It will do for me .....now I'll look,for a couple of primes.

14. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Makes me definitely want to grab one. I am used to legacy primes but in many situations I miss autofocus and with legacy glasses I also miss a bunch of useful features. I'll keep my primes for my landscape and architectural works. This one should be good enough as an everyday lens. Don't want to pay 3x more for the 24-70 as I'll stick to my Canon FD for more quality shoots !

15. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo