• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

FE 28-70 OSS + Old NEX 3N ?

robotiqus

TalkEmount Regular
Hi,
Got opportunity to buy this lens (brand new) for cheap.
My concern is will stabilization and auto-focus work on NEX 3N ?
I'm aware of crop sensor and 45-105mm

Anyway so there is no confusion I'll list lenses I'm using at the moment:
Mostly Minolta MD 28-70
Secondly Canon EF-S 17-85 (broken AF so fully manual focus, stabilization works so-so with my andoer adapter)
Third one is Helios 44m-2 58mm
Hoya HMC 28mm

Mostly everything I shoot is hand-held and I'm going Down-under for 3 weeks soon and I'd like some stabilization and AF.

I've seen loads of bad and good reviews, but regarding my current glass I'd say I'll be extremely happy with this one.
Insight in photos I shoot (outdated)
RAW. ContenT

Any comments welcome.
Thank you!

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
I would consider picking up the 18-55 OSS lens. This was the original e-mount kit lens and is rather good. You will get AF and stabilization as well as a more useful focal range. A good used copy won't set you back much at all.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Hi,
Got opportunity to buy this lens (brand new) for cheap.
My concern is will stabilization and auto-focus work on NEX 3N ?
I'm aware of crop sensor and 45-105mm

Anyway so there is no confusion I'll list lenses I'm using at the moment:
Mostly Minolta MD 28-70
Secondly Canon EF-S 17-85 (broken AF so fully manual focus, stabilization works so-so with my andoer adapter)
Third one is Helios 44m-2 58mm
Hoya HMC 28mm

Mostly everything I shoot is hand-held and I'm going Down-under for 3 weeks soon and I'd like some stabilization and AF.

I've seen loads of bad and good reviews, but regarding my current glass I'd say I'll be extremely happy with this one.
Insight in photos I shoot (outdated)
RAW. ContenT

Any comments welcome.
Thank you!

No reason it won't work. I used the 28-70mm on my A6000 for quite a while with great results.

_DSC1379.jpg
   ---            

_DSC8411.jpg
   ---            

_DSC6647.jpg
   ---            

_DSC5086.jpg
   ---            

The 3N is fine for stills, just don't expect to shoot anything in motion

Last edited:

robotiqus

TalkEmount Regular
@fractal forgot to say that I have 16-50 kit lens, don't like it at all so thinking that 18-55 is pretty much similar.
@davect01 yeah i like that samples, looks good on 70mm (I suppose your shots are on 70mm here). Will do great for family photos, since they are not patient with my manual focus like landscapes :D :D

Think I'll go for it, €150 for a brand new + 1 year warranty is great deal in my opinion.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
@fractal forgot to say that I have 16-50 kit lens, don't like it at all so thinking that 18-55 is pretty much similar.
@davect01 yeah i like that samples, looks good on 70mm (I suppose your shots are on 70mm here). Will do great for family photos, since they are not patient with my manual focus like landscapes :D :D

Think I'll go for it, €150 for a brand new + 1 year warranty is great deal in my opinion.

Wise choice. The 18-55mm is ok and paired with the 3N would be ok but the 28-70mm is much better. Being a F.F. lens on an APS-C sensor you eliminate some of the corner issues this lens has on the F.F. sensor. I was able to get some wonderful shots with the 28-70mm

Not sure at what focal point these are at, they are pulled from my Blogger page which does not store the EXIF info. One of the main reasons I did sell the 28-70mm though is that on the APS-C sensor, 28mm was often a bit close. I replaced it with the 18-105mm which gives me a lot more zoom.

Latest threads

Top Bottom