1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FE 16-35mm F4 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8, Canon FD 20-35mmF4 L, FD 35mm F2?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by shaolin95, Sep 8, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello all!

So this may look a bit weird but after going to the Arches National Park in Utah, I wish I had some wide zoom lens to facilitate getting different perspectives of the amazing views and in such a dusty area, to minimize lens changing (not the main concern though).
    I also noticed that I did not use the Rokinon 14mm as much as I thought...always seems like way too wide for actual landscape...more like an indoor lens for me. The FD 35mm F2 is a great lens, sharp as pretty much any 35mm out there and it did good for sure but indoors is not enough sometimes....so this got me thinking...

The 16-35mm seems like a fantastic option for a one lens solution IF the IQ is actually great across the frame, corners etc. One reason I was keeping the 14mm F2.8 was thinking that in the future if I start doing wedding, such a wide lens could be good for full family indoor shots etc.

In any case, I could keep the 14mm, FD35mm F2 and just add the FD 20-35mm for not much money or sell those two and get the 16-35mm. It would be nice to not carry so many lenses as well.

What do you guys think?

PS just noticed the Canon EF 20-35 mm f/2.8L is in the same price range as the FD 20-35mm and faster so maybe that makes even more sense.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I'm very satisfied with the FE 16-35L, and I doubt there are any wide legacy zooms that outperform it in the corners, Canon L or otherwise. The 16-35 is better than my Canon L 17-40 was, and if you look at Amin's recent test shots comparing the 16-35 FE and the Voightlander 15 v3 they both have great IQ

• Like Like x 1